Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike: or, Victoria University College Review, June 1924



The athletic contest was held on Easter Monday at Athletic Park, under conditions that were practically perfect. The track was in excellent condition; Wellington weather rose to the occasion, and a large number of the public turned out to see an athletic meeting which proved to be little, if any, lower than New Zealand championship standard. The standard shown may be judged from the fact that three records were equalled and two broken.

Outstanding performers for Victoria were Priestley and Tracy, each of whom put up a splendid performance. Priestley started off in the morning by winning the One-mile Championship in the very fast time of 4 mins. 31 4-5 secs., breaking Athol Hudson's record, which has stood since 1914, by 1-5 sec. In this race both V.U.C.'s men ran well, Griffin finishing second only a few yards behind Priestley. In the afternoon Priestley annexed the Three-mile Championship and the Athol Hudson Challenge Cup, in a gloriously exciting race, in which he displayed sound judgment. He came away with a good sprint at the finish, to win from Vallance, of Auckland, by about fifteen yards.

The 220yds. Championship was won by Tracy (V.U.C.), with Morgan (O.U.) second. This race was run in heats, and the first heat, which was won by Tracy with Miller (A.U.C.) second, was run in 22 4-5 secs, equalling the record held jointly by Tracy and Porritt. The second heat was won by Morgan, with Leadbetter (V.U.C.) second.

The quarter-mile also went to Tracy, who again equalled the record, which has stood since 1903, by covering the distance in 51 page 16 2-5 secs. In this race Victoria scored another double, Davies running a very fine race to finish only a few yards behind Tracy. Finally, in the Relay Race, Tracy gave V.U.C. a commanding lead through his performance in the quarter. Tracy has been an outstanding performer for Victoria for several years, and he will be difficult to replace.

All Canterbury's points were scored by C. E. Low, who won the Ladies' Challenge Cup, with seven points, by winning the Long Jump, 440yds. Hurdles, and Putting-the-Shot Championships, and by gaining second place in the 120yds. Hurdles. His performance was a meritorious one, and did much to confirm the opinion held by some critics, that this athlete is the best Decathlon man in New Zealand.

H. D. Morgan, who gained firsts in the 100yds. and 120yds. Hurdles and seconds in the 220yds. and the 440yds. Hurdles, scored six points for Otago.

Others who performed well for Otago were J. G. Forbes, who won the Half in 2 mins. 1 2-5 secs., equalling Griffin's record; W. J. Scott, who raised the High Jump record by 3/8in.; and J. A. C. Mackenzie, who again won the Mile Walk Championship.

Once again the Relay Race fell to V.U.C, represented by C. W. Davies, L. A. Tracy, F. S. Hill, and M. Leadbetter.

As usual, the Tug-o'-war went to Otago, with Auckland runners-up.

The final points for the Athletic Challenge Shield were: Otago, 17; Victoria, 14; Canterbury, 7; and Auckland, 4.