The Spike: or, Victoria University College Review, June 1924
Good Friday (April 18th) was the exact twenty-fifth anniversary of the first lecture given under the auspices of the newly-founded College. It was therefore adjudged a specially suitable occasion for the ceremony of unveiling the stained glass Memorial Window in the Library, which with the series of inscribed brass tablets and the stone let into the wall by the west entrance forms the permanent memorial of the part played by V.U.C. in the War. The Unveiling was carried out in a crowded Library by Sir Robert. Stout, the founder of the College, and chairman and member of the Council for many years. After the Unveiling, the list of the dead was read by the Registrar, the Last Post was sounded, and a laurel page 11 wreath was laid on the central memorial brass. The simple ceremony concluded with the singing of "O God our help in ages past."
The Window was made by Messrs. Smith and Smith, of Dunedin, to the designs of Mr. J. Ellis. It is in four panels, the middle ones being figures of Richard Coeur-de-Lion and a New Zealand soldier, the outside ones having coats-of-arms and various symbolical fragments placed at intervals. In our opinion, at least, the general effect is spoiled by the empty look of these outside panels, which leave the solid figures and masses of colour of the inside ones with very little support. It was hoped that it would be possible to reproduce the Window in colours in the Jubilee "Spike," but the hope unfortunately proved vain.