Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike: or, Victoria University College Review October, 1920

Sixteenth Annual Inter-Varsity Tournament — Held at Wellington, Easter, 1920

page 21

Sixteenth Annual Inter-Varsity Tournament

Held at Wellington, Easter, 1920


Club Representatives.

100 Yards—N. A. J. Barker, L. A. Tracy.

220 Yards—N. A. J. Barker, L. A. Tracy.

440 Yards—G. G. Aitken, G. S. Gillespie.

880 Yards—J. L. Dighton, A. D. McRae.

One Mile—L. J. Edmondson, H. McCormick.

Three Mile—H. McCormick, J. L. Dighton.

One Mile Walk—J. R. E. Bennett.

120 Yards Hurdles—A. Jackson, R. R. Scott.

440 Yards Hurdles—G. G. Aitken, A. Jackson.

Long Jump—G. S. Gillespie, W. T. Longhurst.

High Jump—G. S. Gillespie, R. Comrie.

Putting the 161b. Shot—W. T. Longhurst, D. R. Wood.

Throwing the 161b. Hammer—R. Gapes, R. Comrie.

Relay Team—Stevenson, G. S. Gillespie, R. C. Christie, B. C. B. Dickson.

The Sports Meeting took place at the Basin Reserve on Easter Monday. There was a moderate northerly blowing, which, as the day wore on cleared the sky and ideal running weather resulted. Moreover, the attendance set at rest all doubts as to the financial success of the Tournament.

Victoria's supporters were not too sanguine of her retaining the Shield. For one reason or another four of the six men who won us championships at Dunedin were unable to compete, and one at least of these was sadly missed. H. Williams completed his allotted number of Tournaments last year, and during that time has finished first in five races and second in three; and this was the year we chose to lose the do la Mare Cup, which had been held since 1912, and the three mile championship, which had been won on nine occasions out of ten. The Tournament, however, was remarkable in that not one of the Dunedin champions retained his title.

The contest was one of the closest on record. At the luncheon adjournment the scores stood: A.U.C., 5; V.U.C., 4; O.U, 3. In the afternoon Auckland and Victoria ran neck and neck but Otago came on with a late rush by winning the 440 and both places in the High Jump. Before the last race O.U. and V.U.C. had each 12 points, but Jackson rose to the occasion magnificently and left us victors by a point.

Our success was largely due to our sprinters, Tracy and Barker, who annexed six points in their events. Tracy had exceedingly hard luck in not being bracketed with Opie as record holder in the 220; the wind was certainly no stronger than that which aided the record-breakers at Christchurch, 1914.* In the 140 flat, Aitken jumped out at the start, followed immediately by Gillespie; these positions were maintained into the straight, when Rule of Otago page 22 came up very fast; a desperate finish ensued, when Aitken appeared to cross the line first; he did not breast the tape, however, and the verdict went to Rule. Dighton's half-mile was a finely-judged race, with victory all the sweeter because it was unexpected. In the distance events, Webber of Auckland and Evans of Otago stood right out from their opponents and fought out two determined races with very little between them. Victory in the walk at last came the way of "Axme" Thomas, and he is to be congratulated on a fine performance. Jackson won both hurdle events without being pushed unduly; Stewart, the record-holder, had obviously been unable to reach condition. The Long Jump gave three points to Auckland; the High Jump three to Otago; in neither case was the jumping of a very high standard. Canterbury just got home with the Hammer; Kingston of Otago won comfortably in the Shot Put. Longhurst filled second place in this and gave us the extra point needed.

The result augurs-well for next Tournament, as the indications are for an even stronger team. There will still be plenty of room in the jumps, the weights, and the walk for budding athletes, while better men will not be amiss in the track events. There is only one way to win—Train.

Official Results—Athletic Championships
Event First (2 points) Second (2 points) Time or Distance Record
Putting 16 lb Weight G. R. Kingston, O.U. W. T. Longhurst. D.V.U.C. 34 ft. 6 ins. 37 ft. 31 ins.
One Mile R M. Webber A.U.C. G. M. Evans. O.U. 4 min. 50 3-5 secs. 4 min. 32 secs.
220 Yards L. A. Tracey, V.U.C. N. A. J. Barker. V.U.C. 23 2-5 secs. 23 2-5 secs.
Long Jump W. J. Ferry. A.U.C. L L. Grice, A.U.C. 19 ft. 5 ins. 22 ft. 8½ ins.
880 Yards J. L. Dighton. V.U.C. J. W. Olpherd. A.U.C. 2 min. 11 2-5 secs. 2 min. 3 1-5 secs
Hammer Throwing W. Combes, C.U.C. J. Gray, O.U. 98 ft. 5 ins. 131 ft. 8 ins.
100 Yards L. A. Tracey. V.UC. N. A. J. Barker. V.U.C. 10 4-5 sees. 10 secs.
One Mile Walk N. R. Thomas, A.U.C W. H. Whyte, O.U. 7 min. 43 3-5 secs. 7 min. 6 secs.
High Jump G. Harkness, O.U. R. F. Allen, O.U. 5 ft. 4 ins. 5 ft. 6¾ ins.
440 Yards J. H. Rule. O.U. G. G. Aitken, V.U.C. 54 1-5 secs. 51 2-5 sees.
120 Yards Hurdles A. Jackson, V.U.C. P. A. Treahy, O.U. 17 1-5 secs. 16 secs.
Throe Miles R. M. Webber, A.U.C. G. M. Evans, O.U. 16 min. 51 secs. 15 min. 24 secs.
440 Yards Hurdle. A. Jackson, V.U.C, J. G. Mackereth. O.U. 63 2-5 secs. 62 secs.

Tug-of-War—Auckland University College.

Relay Race—C.U.C. (D. H. Black, G. G. Lock wood, R. B. Penlington and A. Thompson)—Time, 3min. 49sec.

Points Scored: Victoria University College, 14; Otago University, 13; Auckland University College, IB; Canterbury University College, 2.

De la Mare Challenge Cup (one mile flat)—R. M. Webber.

Trevor Hull Memorial Shield (high jump)—G. Harkness.

Athol Hudson Memorial Cup (three miles flat)—R. M. Webber


The remarkably high standard of tennis was one of the features of the Tournament, the play being equal if not superior to that seen for many years back. The games, which were followed throughout by a large crowd of spectators, were played on the page 23 Wellington Courts. The weather on both days was satisfactory, and, remarkable for Wellington, there was an entire absence of wind.

The Men's Singles provided some really brilliant play. Both the Victoria representatives went out in the first round, Whitelaw to Gray, O.U., Edmondson to Angus, C.U.C. Angus, C.U.C., went out to Allison, O.U.C., in the semi-finals, and Gray, O.U., lost to Bartleet, A.U.C. The latter was a brilliant game, both players playing remarkably fine tennis. The final between Allison and Bartleet aroused great enthusiasm, and a large crowd watched what was probably the finest display of tennis seen at a University Tournament for some time. Bartleet's win—8-6, 4-6, 7-5—was popular, and well deserved, especially in view of the fact that during the last set he was suffering from cramp.

The Men's Doubles were won by Allison and Gray (OU.), 7-5, 6-3, with the second Otago pair, Salmond and Sims, as runner-up.

The Ladies' Singles again went to Miss Knight, of Auckland, who has a very easy but forceful style, and proved too good for Miss Fenton. Miss Easterfield, after rousing great lioj.es by her fine play against Miss Wilson (C.U.C.) and Miss Day (O.U.), had to meet Miss Fenton and lost by a small margin.

The Ladies' Doubles were won by Miss Willcox and Miss Archenhold (C.U.C.), who defeated Miss Waldie and Miss Fenton 9-6 in the semi-final, and Miss Day and Miss Lynn (O.U) 9-6 in the final. This game was also a most interesting game to watch.

The Combined Doubles offered some excellent plry. Miss Waldie and Mr. Whitelaw beat Miss Egcrton and Moir (A.U.C.), but went down in the semi-finals to Miss Archenhold and Abernethy (C.U.C.). This pair lost in the finals to the Auckland pair, Miss Knight and Bartleet, who had beaten Edmondson and Miss Fenton in the semi-finals.

Our representatives were unfortunate throughout the Tournament, especially Whitelaw, who failed to strike form, and Miss Waldie, who met Miss Knight early in the Singles, and who also was not on her best form. Our standard, however, in men's events will need to be raised considerably before we can hope to have any success. We heartily congratulate Auckland on their brilliant performance.

Basketball Match

The members of the local club are to be heartily congratulated on this innovation in the Tournament. It is undoubtedly the first step that is the hardest in such matters, and a club which takes the responsibility of arranging an inter-college match finds its path beset with difficulties. At least, we did. It had to be ascertained if other colleges ever played, if they were keen enough to send a team—all by means of a fitful correspondence. We were working in the dark, with small ray of faith. Everything was so uncertain that it was really a great surprise when a team did turn up. And now we are full of hope. A match has actually been played, and even a trophy is "floating in the air." But what is more, we have found that the three other colleges contain women students who are keen on increasing women's contests at tournaments. "Why," they say, "should our College send four women and about thirty men?" We heartily agree that it points to something "rotten in the State." With the beginning of one basketball match will come page 24 other things too interesting to be overlooked by Tournament delegates—in fact, managed by a women Tournament Committee. The match this year held on Kelburn Park on the Monday afternoon (an unfortunate time as it was just at the end of the athletic competition) was of course a friendly one. However, it was enough to show that the Auckland team was the better. Their quick and accurate passing was a feature, and undoubtedly they showed the results of a much longer training at College or elsewhere. The local girls were rather too rough in their defence, and would soon find themselves liable to penalties. The visiting team had a decided advantage in height, which was a pity, as it gave some of our best players no opportunity. The resulting score was Auckland 6, Wellington 0. The low score was due to the gale which was blowing at the time. After the game tea was given to the visitors in the Gym—a rather hurried tea, as there was a rush for the boat for the picnic. It would certainly be advisable for the local club to put in much more practice at the game if they are to be successful at Christchurch next year with four teams competing. If the Students' Association could see its way to award blazers to the club, this would be an incentive to players. However, the club is new, and the game is new, and prejudice is as old as old. But a word — Romantic old Dunedin gives basketball blazers, while Bustling Wellington don't.


The inter-Island cricket match was another feature of the Easter Tournament which was well attended both by students and interested outsiders. As was anticipated, the Southerners' team, which was composed for the greater part of seasoned inter-provincial cricketers, gave a splended exhibition of batting. To this, Blunt 166, Worker 68, Smith 62, and Hutchison 37, contributed most.

Blunt and Worker opened for the Southern team, and after a quiet beginning soon began to pile on runs at a great rate. Blunt was the more aggressive of the two, and he had topped the century before Worker was given out l.b.w. Smith followed, and soon lost Blunt, who had given a particularly fine exhibition of clean, forceful cricket. He excelled in the leg glance, oft' drive and square cut. Indeed, his innings might almost be termed a cricket education. The remainder of the team, with the exception of Smith and Hutchison, gave very little trouble.

Faced with a total of nearly 400, the Northerners opened late in the afternoon, and before stumps were drawn had lost five wickets for 50, Charles being the only batsman to play the bowling of Blunt and Deane with any confidence. On the following day the score was increased to 121, mainly owing to the efforts of Charles 37, who, although by no means brilliant, played very sound cricket, and Airey 28, who hit out very freely. Following on, the Northern team, not taking things very seriously, just topped the century, Charles again being top scorer with a very carefully played 21. This time the bowling of Blunt and Zimmerman was most destructive. The former bowling slow breaks from either side with an occasional "wrong'un," the latter a medium-paced left- hand off break. The Southerners thus left the field victorious by an innings and 160 runs. After the match both teams were entertained at Dustin's.

page 25


The boxing contests in connection with the Tournament were held in the Town Hall 011 the night of Easter Monday, before a fairly large crowd. Captain Mack Stewart kindly consented to referee the bouts, while Mr. A. Curtayne carried out the duties of announcer. Mr. J. Hennan, Jun., had charge of the show generally, and the success of the contests was in a large measure due to him. Captain Hendrys was "Clerk of the Scales."

The Bouts.

Preliminary bouts were fought in the College Gymnasium on the Saturday preceding Easter Monday. The results were as under:—


McClelland (V.U.C.) v. McClaren (A.U.C.)—McClelland had no difficulty in disposing of his opponent.


Mason (A.U.C.) v. Scott—Scott opened up briskly and maintained his lead throughout the piece. Scott has a very heavy right, which made his opponent wince when he connected.


Richmond (C.U.C.) v. McKegg (O.U.C.)—This bout proved one of the heavy-slogging type. McKegg was the quicker of the pair on his feet and gained the verdict.

Easter Monday.


McClelland (V.U.C.) v. McDougall (O.U.C.)—This proved a very interesting bout. The first round was uneventful, with both contestants evidently finding the strength of their opponent. In the second round McClelland connected with his left to his opponent's face on several occasions, but seemed troubled with the light; McDougall mixed things in the third round and forced the fighting, getting his right home to McClelland's ribs and jaw on many occasions. The decision was in favour of McDougall.


Haigh (V.U.C.) v. Smith (O.U.)—Smith proved too much for Haigh, outclassing him in all departments. The referee stopped the fight in the second round.

Lucena (V.U.C.) v. Irving (A.U.C.)—Irving is a very clever boxer, and from the outset had Lucena thinking. Lucena, however, stuck to his guns and gave Irving one or two nasty jars in the first two rounds, but he could not maintain the pace, and the third round was easily in favour of Irving, who obtained the decision.

Irving (A.U.C.) v. Smith (O.U.)—Final: This bout provided the cleverest exhibition boxing during the evening. Both started carefully, but Smith soon took the offensive, Irving showing great skill in defence. The footwork of both competitors was particularly good. In the second round both contestants started to force the fighting. Smith seemed to have the advantage at close quarters. The second round ended with honours even. In the third round Smith did most of the attacking, though on more than one occasion page 26 he hit the air, Irving's defence being particularly good. On the sound of the gong it seemed that the referee would have ordered another round, but the decision was given to Smith.


Church (O.U.) v. Scott—Church opened the fight with a straight left to Scott's jaw; Scott retaliated with blows to the body. At the end of the round honours were even. Scott started and mixed it in the second round, both men receiving and giving a good deal of punishment. The third round was fast and open, and at the conclusion the referee ordered another round. The fourth round was too much for Scott, and Church obtained a decision.

Gallagher (A.U.C.) v. Combes (C.U.C.)—In the first round Combes got home a couple of lefts to Gallagher's jaw which made his opponent dizzy. The second and third rounds were uninteresting, as both seemed to be watching each other closely. Combes obtained the verdict.

Evans (O.U.) v. Hutchison (V.U.C.)—Hutchison started the offensive early in the first round and Evans showed no inclination to get out of the way. Both men were getting in some good work, but at the sound of the gong Hutchison was leading. The second round proved as fast and open as the first. In the beginning of the third round Evans was very groggy. However, he made a remarkable recovery, and for the last two minutes put up a great fight. Hutchison was declared the winner.

Hutchison (V.U.C.) v. Combes (C.U.C.)—Final: From the outset this fight was uninteresting, consisting mainly of clinches. Hutchison established an early lead and maintained it. Hutchison the winner.


McKegg (O.U.) v. McRae (V.U.C.)—McRae opened the fight with a left to McKegg's jaw, and for a time the fight promised to be fast and open. In the second round McRae was forced to the ropes, but recovered quickly. The third round was not an exhibition of first-class boxing, but nevertheless provided a great deal of amusement. Both men were evidently done up and slammed at each other alternately. McRae obtained the decision.

There was no fight in the Bantam Class, consequently the win was credited to the College.

Joynt Scroll Contest

The debating contest for the Joynt Challenge Scroll was held in the Concert Chamber of the Town Hall on Saturday, April 3rd.

From the commencement of the proceedings it was clear that a certain section of the audience had decided that the debate was not the serious business of the evening. A few "sports" made so much and such continuous noise that the judges were obliged at one stage of the debate to retire from the room. They were, however, on a promise being given that the conduct of the "sports" would be a little more in accordance with that of gentlemen, persuaded to return.

The subject for debate was, "That the Dominions shall not have separate votes on the deliberations of the League of Nations, but that the views of the Empire as a whole should be expressed page 27 by the views of the representatives of an Empire Parliament or in some other way by the Empire as a whole."

The first debate was between Victoria and Canterbury.

Martin-Smith, who led for Victoria, was not in his best form. He was unfortunately suffering from a severe cold. The result was that his speech was not very effective.

K. G. Archer, who opened for Canterbury, is a sharp staccato speaker. His speech was bright and clear. At times he showed gleams of humour. His peroration, which he was determined to let the audience hear, was mostly delivered after the time bell had rung.

J. A. Ross, Victoria's second speaker, delievered a sound, logical speech. His voice, however, was scarcely powerful enough to be heard above the noise made by a section of the audience.

J. C. Dickinson, the second speaker for Canterbury, made a good speech. He kept rather closely to his notes, but taken altogether, his speech was one of the best of the evening

The second debate was between Auckland, represented by A. G. Davies and C. J. Garland, and Otago, represented by Miss M. A. Taylor and Mr. Morrell.

A. G. Davies, who opened for Auckland, had a good, confident manner. He was not disturbed by the interruptions but went fearlessly on with his speech.

Miss M. A. Taylor was slightly nervous. Her points were not clearly brought out. She had, moreover, prepared more matter than her time allowed for, and consequently her speech was unfinished.

C. J. Garland was the best speaker of the evening. His argument was clear and logical. His replies to his opponents were excellent. He well deserved the compliments of the judges. The writer does not recollect ever having heard a better speech in the Joynt Scroll contests.

Mr. Morrell had neither a good voice nor a good manner. His knowledge of the subject was better than that of most of the speakers, but unfortunately he was unable to impress that knowledge on the minds of his audience.

The judges were Rev. S. Robertson Orr and Messrs. Firth, Smith and M. Myers, who placed the contestants In the following order of merit:—A.U.C. (177 points), 1st; C.U.C. (154 points), 2nd; V.U.C. (137 points), 3rd; O.U. (130 points), 4th.

The Ball

The Tournament Ball was celebrated with great formality in the Town Hall. An inartistic and inappropriate decoration scheme was provided by Scoular Bros.; they also added a few easy chairs for the extremely reasonable sum total of £80. The floor was in good condition, the music was provocative, yet somehow the evening dragged in spite of this. Nor did the dainty and well served supper remove this feeling of "something wanting." Finally it dawned upon the forlorn student that it was the small percentage of V.C. people among the dancers that gave him that feeling of incompleteness. The function lacked the brightness and zest that used to characterise V.C. dances. Let us hope that the visiting teams did not feel that we were lacking in hospitality.

page 28

Moonlight Picnic

As the Executive abandoned its original intention cf having a moonlight harbour excursion, an impromptu picnic was hastily arranged by some enthusiastic students.

The night was dark and promised to be stormy, but the trip was not a rough one. A considerable number of students and visitors travelled to Day Bay on an early boat and spent the time dancing in the pavilion. Light supper was eaten in groups on the beach, which was quite sheltered from the heavy wind. The return journey was considerably enlivened by chorus singing from a large group in the bow of the boat. It was altogether a very jolly and successful evening's entertainment.

* [* We are pleased to learn that since this article was written Tracy has been awarded the record.—Ed. "Spike."]