Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike: or, Victoria University College Review October, 1920


page 62


Man kicking rugby ball towards Victoria University's Hunter building

Owing to the "Spike" being published later than usual this session we are able to include the report of the whole season's activities of the Football Club in this issue. The activities of the Club during the past season have far surpassed those of recent years. The first fifteen has, as usual, played inconsistently, and after defeating the leading team, suffered several defeats at the hands of teams lower down in the competition. The team, however, has undoubtedly been the best V.U.C. has had for several years and has possessed the fastest set of backs in Wellington. The forwards, although fast and nippy, were severely handicapped through lack of weight, and in almost every competition match were opposed to far heavier packs.

This season's matches with the other University Colleges have been recommenced, and in addition a team from Sydney University toured the Dominion at the end of August and the beginning of September. We played two games against Auckland University College, but both, unfortunately were played under very unfavourable weather conditions, so that both teams were prevented from displaying their true form. The annual match against Canterbury University College was played on June 3rd.

The Club has had four teams playing in the various competitions, one Senior, one Junior, and two Third Grade. The working of the last two was far from satisfactory, one of the teams playing only-four matches, preferring to default on other occasions rather than travel out of town. Owing to the lack of interest shown by some of the players in the lower teams it has been suggested that next season the Club should confine itself to three teams comprised of players who are actually keen on the game. The use of the Poneke gymnasium was secured for practice purposes and the first fifteen practised regularly, but the amount of practice done by the other teams was negligible.

We were rather unfortunate in the number of injuries received by members of the first, fifteen. Fortunately we were able to put one of our strongest teams into the field against Sydney University. Messrs. Aitken, Barker, Jackson, and Seddells obtained places in the Wellington "A" team, while several others played for other representative teams.

The following are the results of matches played during the season:—

The season was opened as usual with a seven-a-side tournament on April 24th.

"A" team v. Wellington A; won 15-0.

"A" team v. Athletic B; won 15-3.

"A" team v. Petone A; lost, G-13.

"B" team v. Poneke A; lost 0-14.

Senior XV.

The first competition match was played on May 1st against Wellington, and resulted in a somewhat easy victory by 26 to nil.

v. Poneke; Athletic Park, May 15th. The team failed to show the expected form and was defeated by 20 to 3.

page 63

v. Auckland University College. This match was played at Auckland on May 22nd, in wet weather. Owing to the late commencement the match was finished in semi-darkness. Auckland won by 19 to 9.

v. Selwyn. Played at Kelburn Park on May 29th. Lost S-15. v. Canterbury University College. Played at Athletic Park on. Tune 3rd, as a curtain raiser to the Wellington v. Canterbury representative match. Neither side played very good football, and we eventually won by 23-1).

v. Athletic. This game was played at Petone on June 5th, and after a fast game we defeated what was then the leading team in the competition by 10-8.

v. Berhampore. Wakefield Park, on June 12th. Won 12-5.

v. Petone, at Petone, on June 19th. The game was fast and open, and it was only in the closing stages that our opponents gained the upper hand. Lost 3-19. "

v. Berhampore, Wakefield Park, July 3rd. Draw 13-13. v. Athletic. This match was played in the mud at Athletic Park on July 10th. Play ceased by mutual consent some minutes before time was up. Lost 0-8.

v. Wellington. Played on Kelburn Park on July 17th. Won 5-0. v. Oriental. Lyall Bay, on July 24th. After a strenuous game, in which Aitken and Siddells were hurt and had to retire, we were defeated 0-6.

v. Petone. This match was played at Petone on July 31st. The team was very weak owing to injuries received in other matches. Lost 6-46.

v. Auckland University College. Newtown Park, August I4tb. A mud scramble. Drawn 3-3.

Junior XV.

v. Selwyn; lost 6-18.

v. Poneke; lost 0-9. v. Marist Old Boys; won 15-3.

v. Old Boys. This was a hard and fast match and the team played ils best game of the season. Lost 11-21.

v. Hutt; lost 0-21.

v. Oriental; lost 0-25.

v. Wellington; won 5-3.

v. Athletic; lost 8-11.

Third "A."

v. Miramar; lost 3-13.

v. Berhampore; lost 8-18.

v. Wellington College; lost 0-12.

v. University "B"; won 8-3.

The remaining matches were lost by default—a very unsatisfactory state of affairs.

Third "B."

v. Upper Hutt; lost 0-28.

v. Selwyn; lost 0-8.

v. Scots College; won 9-6.

v. Petone; drawn 8-8.

v. Lower Hutt; drawn 3-3.

v. Oriental; lost 0-3.

v. Y.M.C.A.; lost 0-8.

v. Old Boys; won 9-6.

v. University "A"; lost 3-8.

The Sydney University Tour

The Sydney University team played their first- match in New Zealand against Victoria University College at Athletic Park on August 25th. Although the ordinary means of transport to the ground were lacking through the stoppage of the trams, a crowd of about two thousand watched the match. The game was fast and open, and full of excitement from start to finish. At half-time we led by 10-6, but during the second spell Sydney improved and eventually won by 20 to 10. For the visitors Farquhar (2), Raymond, Flynn and Morgan scored tries, one of which was converted by page 64 Lawton. For V.U.C. tries were scored by Nicol, Aitken and M. L. Smith. Scott converted all and also kicked a penalty.

After the match the visitors were entertained at a smoke concert, when over seventy were present. On the following day the visitors were shown round Wellington in cars provided by his Worship the Mayor (Mr. J. P. Luke, C.M.G.). On August 27th the team left for the South, where matches were played against Otago University and a New Zealand University representative team.

The second test match, which was played at Wellington on September 8th, was marred to a large extent by a northerly gale which made accurate passing impossible. Four spells of twenty minutes each were played. The game was to a large extent confined to the forwards and was relieved by flashes of individual brilliancy amongst the backs. The game was by no means dull, however, and was strenuously contested throughout, and the honours went to the visitors by 11 points to 8. Tries were scored for Sydney by Goldsmith, Raymond and Hingst, and Lawton converted one. For New Zealand, Phillips and R. Scott scored tries, one of which was converted by Campbell. The following V.U.C, men played for New Zealand: Siddells, Aitken (captain), R. Scott, Jackson, Hutchison, D. Scott, and Hanson.

The two teams were entertained at a ball in the Town Hall on the night after the match, and on the following day the Sydney team left for Auckland by the midday train. The club wishes to thank all those who entertained or billeted the visitors, and also to put on record its appreciation of the generous manner in which it was treated by the Wellington Rugby Union in connection with the matches played here.

Towards the end of the season the Club was handicapped by loss of players through accidents.

We have to thank A.U.C. Football Club for the hospitality shown to our players when we journeyed to Auckland.

The following Victoria College men have gained their N.Z. University "Blue," having represented N.Z.U. against Sydney University:—Aitken, Hanse-D, Hutchison, Jackson, D. Scott, R. R. Scott, Siddells.

A Banner is being provided for competition between Sydney and New Zealand Universities, and next year a New Zealand team will travel to Sydney and attempt to bring home the "Ashes."

A series of five matches has been arranged, commencing in 8ydney on Juno 3rd. Amongst others there will be a match against Duntroon Military College.