Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike: or, Victoria University College Review October, 1920

The Sydney University Tour

The Sydney University Tour

The Sydney University team played their first- match in New Zealand against Victoria University College at Athletic Park on August 25th. Although the ordinary means of transport to the ground were lacking through the stoppage of the trams, a crowd of about two thousand watched the match. The game was fast and open, and full of excitement from start to finish. At half-time we led by 10-6, but during the second spell Sydney improved and eventually won by 20 to 10. For the visitors Farquhar (2), Raymond, Flynn and Morgan scored tries, one of which was converted by page 64 Lawton. For V.U.C. tries were scored by Nicol, Aitken and M. L. Smith. Scott converted all and also kicked a penalty.

After the match the visitors were entertained at a smoke concert, when over seventy were present. On the following day the visitors were shown round Wellington in cars provided by his Worship the Mayor (Mr. J. P. Luke, C.M.G.). On August 27th the team left for the South, where matches were played against Otago University and a New Zealand University representative team.

The second test match, which was played at Wellington on September 8th, was marred to a large extent by a northerly gale which made accurate passing impossible. Four spells of twenty minutes each were played. The game was to a large extent confined to the forwards and was relieved by flashes of individual brilliancy amongst the backs. The game was by no means dull, however, and was strenuously contested throughout, and the honours went to the visitors by 11 points to 8. Tries were scored for Sydney by Goldsmith, Raymond and Hingst, and Lawton converted one. For New Zealand, Phillips and R. Scott scored tries, one of which was converted by Campbell. The following V.U.C, men played for New Zealand: Siddells, Aitken (captain), R. Scott, Jackson, Hutchison, D. Scott, and Hanson.

The two teams were entertained at a ball in the Town Hall on the night after the match, and on the following day the Sydney team left for Auckland by the midday train. The club wishes to thank all those who entertained or billeted the visitors, and also to put on record its appreciation of the generous manner in which it was treated by the Wellington Rugby Union in connection with the matches played here.

Towards the end of the season the Club was handicapped by loss of players through accidents.

We have to thank A.U.C. Football Club for the hospitality shown to our players when we journeyed to Auckland.

The following Victoria College men have gained their N.Z. University "Blue," having represented N.Z.U. against Sydney University:—Aitken, Hanse-D, Hutchison, Jackson, D. Scott, R. R. Scott, Siddells.

A Banner is being provided for competition between Sydney and New Zealand Universities, and next year a New Zealand team will travel to Sydney and attempt to bring home the "Ashes."

A series of five matches has been arranged, commencing in 8ydney on Juno 3rd. Amongst others there will be a match against Duntroon Military College.