Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike: or, Victoria University College Review October, 1920

[Review of the activities of the Football club]

Man kicking rugby ball towards Victoria University's Hunter building

Owing to the "Spike" being published later than usual this session we are able to include the report of the whole season's activities of the Football Club in this issue. The activities of the Club during the past season have far surpassed those of recent years. The first fifteen has, as usual, played inconsistently, and after defeating the leading team, suffered several defeats at the hands of teams lower down in the competition. The team, however, has undoubtedly been the best V.U.C. has had for several years and has possessed the fastest set of backs in Wellington. The forwards, although fast and nippy, were severely handicapped through lack of weight, and in almost every competition match were opposed to far heavier packs.

This season's matches with the other University Colleges have been recommenced, and in addition a team from Sydney University toured the Dominion at the end of August and the beginning of September. We played two games against Auckland University College, but both, unfortunately were played under very unfavourable weather conditions, so that both teams were prevented from displaying their true form. The annual match against Canterbury University College was played on June 3rd.

The Club has had four teams playing in the various competitions, one Senior, one Junior, and two Third Grade. The working of the last two was far from satisfactory, one of the teams playing only-four matches, preferring to default on other occasions rather than travel out of town. Owing to the lack of interest shown by some of the players in the lower teams it has been suggested that next season the Club should confine itself to three teams comprised of players who are actually keen on the game. The use of the Poneke gymnasium was secured for practice purposes and the first fifteen practised regularly, but the amount of practice done by the other teams was negligible.

We were rather unfortunate in the number of injuries received by members of the first, fifteen. Fortunately we were able to put one of our strongest teams into the field against Sydney University. Messrs. Aitken, Barker, Jackson, and Seddells obtained places in the Wellington "A" team, while several others played for other representative teams.

The following are the results of matches played during the season:—

The season was opened as usual with a seven-a-side tournament on April 24th.

"A" team v. Wellington A; won 15-0.

"A" team v. Athletic B; won 15-3.

"A" team v. Petone A; lost, G-13.

"B" team v. Poneke A; lost 0-14.