Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike or Victoria University College Review June 1918


page 43


"Mark you, a passing shrewd crack on the shins.
Let's tell o'er our knocks. Nay, friends, the tale
Were overlong. I did come home in sections,
And spend the morrow picking up the pieces."

—Measure for Measure.


Last season's wish that we should win the senior competition, unfortunately, did not materalise, and we had to be content with the position of runners-up for the second successive year. The final was played against Petone, but casualties and want of condition told on us, and the game ended in a very easy victory for our opponents. Several of the team have since joined the forces, yet, with the material at our disposal, we should be able to give a very good account of ourselves this season.

The annual meeting was held on April 11th, when Professor Hunter presided over a good attendance. The balance-sheet showed the club to be in a good position financially. So far, one hundred and thirteen members of the club have joined the colors, and of these eighteen have been killed.

This season the Rugby Union has removed the age limit restriction from the competition, as the reason for which it was imposed no longer exists. As a result, we are able to play a few players who were debarred last season, but in this respect have not benefited as much as several other clubs have. The season is now a month old, and the senior team has played three games. Very good form was shown in these matches, especially among the backs, and, with a little training, the team should be difficult to defeat. Owing to the good support afforded by the members, we were able to enter a team in the Third Grade Competition, and although the running of this team caused a little anxiety at first, it has now been efficiently organised and promises to have a successful season. This season the committee has been trying to recommence the annual fixture with Canterbury University College, and arrangements for a game on June 3rd have been proceeding satisfactorily.

To date, the following game have been played: The annual seven-a-side tournament was held on April 27, and for the third successive year we were runners-up. First round: 'Varsity A beat Oriental, 10-nil;'Varsity B drew with Athletic, 3-3. The game was decided by tossing, and Athletic won. Second round: 'Varsity A beat Athletic, 18-3; Semi-final: 'Varsity A beat Wellington College, 10-5. Final: 'Varsity A lost to Hutt, 0-3.

v. Petone: Won 10-9. We commenced the season by playing Petone, last year's champions, at the Athletic Park on May 4th. The game was noteworthy for the good play that prevailed throughout. During the first spell, Petone scored two unconverted tries and managed to stave off our attacks. In the second half we attacked strongly, and Morton, who was conspicuous throughout, scored two good tries, both of which he converted. Shortly before time, Petone scored again in an easy position, but failed with the kick. It was very gratifying to see, or, rather, to hear, the numerous 'Varsity supporters who lined the field.

page 44

v. Old Boys: Won 16-6. This match was played on May 11th, and was also strenuously contested. The opposing forwards had rather the better of the game, and it was to the good play of our backs that we owed the victory. At half-time we led by 5-3. In the second half the backs showed good combination and succeeded in crossing the line three more times. All the backs played splendid games, and it is useless to mention names. Individually the forwards played well, but lacked co-operation. Tries were scored by Barker (2), Pope and Aitken, Morton converting two.

v. Poneke: Lost 3-25. This game was played on May 18th. On this occasion we had a day out, and were defeated by 25 to 3. Our solitary score was the result of a brilliant run by Gillespie. The cause of the defeat was the poor collaring of the backs, who would not go low. The forwards, though considerably lighter than their opponents, played a good game.

The following Third Grade matches were played: v. Old Boys: Won 9-5. This game was played at Lyall Bay on May 11th. The team played very well and showed good form. Tries were scored by Kitching and Hunt, and Irwin kicked a penalty.

v. Railway: Draw, 3-3. The match was played at Kilbirnie on May 18th. The ground was in a very rough state, and a ragged game ended in a draw. Anderson scored for 'Varsity.