Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike or Victoria University College Review June 1917


page break


He's home with a broken ankle and his nose.

knocked flat on his face.

We used to think 'im a smart young lad but

now 'e's a sore disgrace He calls himself a forward—What that means

I cannot say

But he was jolly well paid for his forwardness

when they carried him home from play.


Hope was expressed in the last edition of the "Spike" that the college might win the Senior Competition, but although this was not realized the team finished the season well up on the list. In the final match we played Petone. who eventually won the Competition, and were beaten by them by the narrow margin of one point after a hard fought game in which the final issue was not decided until the call of time. Many of our last year's team are now either in camp or have already left our shores and we wish them every success in their new sphere.

The Annual Meeting of the Club was held in the Gymnasium on the 11th April last, the President, Professor Hunter, being in the Chair. It was reported that the Club was in a satisfactory financial position. General business was transacted and the officers for the ensuing year elected.

Mr. A. Jackson at the Annual Meeting of the Rugby Union was elected to the Management Committee, so that we now have an active member of the Club to watch our interests on that body.

This season, owing to a promise made by the Union to the National Efficiency Board, that the Competition would page 58 be restricted to players under military age, no player who was over the age of twenty on May 1st is allowed to play. This has the effect of barring men in Camp from playing, but matches are being arranged by the Union for their benefit.

The present season is now but a month old, three matches having been played. We attempted to run a second team, but when the time came for the first game, the response was not encouraging, so the idea had to be dropped. At this present early stage of the season it is impossible to criticise the work of the team, but the combination has been steadily improving and we have the makings of a really first class team. We are handicapped a great deal by having to hold our practices at 7 a.m., but as this is the only time suitable, members, especially the backs, are urged to attend as often as possible. Three of our players, Messrs Morton, Jackson and Russell are picked to play on the King's Birthday, June 4th in the Wellington Representative Team against a team from Trentham Camp.

The following is a list of the games played to date:—On April the 28th Annual Seven-a-side Tournament was held: First Round 'Varsity A beat St. Patrick's College 6-3: 'Varsity B lost to Petone B 6-3. Second Round 'Varsity A beat Petone B 14-0. Semi-Final 'Varsity A beat Poneke 7-2.

Final 'Varsity A lost to Old Boys A 8-0.

v. Old Bays. Lost 20-8. This game, the first of the season, was played at the Athletic Park on May 12th. Owing to frequent rains the ground was sodden, which, with lack of training, made the going very heavy. At half time the College led by 8-3. But in the second half our passing was not up to standard and the whole team showed signs of being "done." Tries were scored by Russell and Charles, Morton converting one.

v. Poneke. Won 9-8. This match played at Petone was characterised by too much use of the boot in the scrums and the collaring of men after the whistle sounded. Off side play in the game seemed to be the order for the day. Poneke in the first half had the wind and sun and led by 5-3. In the second half Russell kicked a Penalty Goal and tries were scored by O'Regan and Wiren. Up to a few minutes to time we were losing 8-6 when Wiren, from a page 59 loose rush, gathered up the ball and ran round behind the posts. We were able to stall off all attacks until time was called.

v. Wellington. Won 13-9. After a closely contested game we eventually emerged the winners. As usual the opposing side led at half time when the score was 6-3, but in the second half the "College" settled down to work and kept Wellington in trouble. This game was open and fast, the team showing more combination and dash than on former occasions. The forwards packed together better, giving the backs more use of the ball, and a better chance to display their combination. There was a strong tendency shown to hang on and cut in, when the offender was immediately swamped. Improvement will be shown if the ball is got away sooner, and the back, once he has got rid of it, comes round in support. Wilson, Ward, Adams and Russell in the forwards played good games, being always on the ball; while Jackson, Aitken and McRae showed good form in the backs. Jackson, McRae and Russell scored tries, Morton converting two.

We hope that the form displayed in this match will be continued during the remainder of the season.