Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike: or, Victoria College Review, June 1913



v. Petone. Lost, 6—21

As this was the first match of the year, many of the members of the team were practically strangers of one another. We scored first, East getting over from a passing rush. Petone replied with a somewhat lucky try, which they converted. A little later Daniell scored from a forward rush, but this was the last of our scoring. The first spell ended 13—6 in Petone's favour, the final score being 21—6, still in their favour. Contrary to the usual custom of College players, our men were well enough trained to last to the end, and were pressing strongly when no-side was called. Had the forwards put more bite into their play Petone's score would have been much lower. Undoubtedly the best forward on the ground was Meldrum.

v. Orintal. Lost, 3—11.

Our team played better this Saturday, but met a better combination. The half-time score was 3—0 against us, our only score coming in the second spell—a goal by Fathers from a mark by Daniell.

v. Marist Old Boys. Won, 6—0.

The match was played at Miramar. It started raining as we lift town, and at the time of writing (three days later) it is still raining. This is practically all there is to say about the match. We were one short, our opponents three short. O'Shea page 73 and Ryter scored for us. There were approximately forty force-downs, the ball being too slippery for the forwards to hold. The backs are to be complimented on their showing under adverse weather conditions.

v. Porirua. Won, 14—5.

Played at Porirua on a fine day. Tarrant missed the train, so we played one short once more. Our opponents were a healthy-looking lot, but they couldn't last the distance. McKenzie scored within five minutes of the start. A little later Stewart repeated, O'Shea converting. O'Shea kicked a penalty goal, and our last score came from a try by Tait. All this happened in the first spell. In the second spell, playing against the wind, we felt the loss of our man short. Porirua scored and converted. However, our backs got going, and for the rest of the spell we were attacking. Much appreciation was expressed by members of the team for the Porirua Club's action in supplying a room at the Porirua (Private!) Hotel to dress in, with a hot bath at the end of the game.

v. Selwyn. Lost, 17—0.

Again one short. Out three-quarter, Ryter, ricked his knee before the game began, and had to go off. East was away in Auckland, Butcher had his hand, another of the forwards had to take a "friend" to the Athletic Park, so once again we were one short. In the first spell Selwyn only scored three points, but within a quarter of an hour of the end of the game Selwyn scored 14 more points. It took our peaceful friend "Barney" forty-three minutes to express himself fully on this game, so the least said soonest mended. The most unkindest cut—we missed our tram, and had to walk to Kilbirnie.

v. Poneke. Won, 6—0.

Just as we go to press comes news of another victory, in spite of two men short. O'Shea and R. Geville scored tries. Nathan prominent.