Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

1840. 19 February.Pohuenui.Know all men by this writing of mine of Mr. Busby that inasmuch as I have purchased all the land at Waipu, And that I am desirous that the men should dwell upon the land Deed of grant. of their birth, I therefore grant to Tutahi, and Toru, and Tauwiti, and Te Haro, and Parihoro, and Wakataka, and Puke Rahi, and Te Mahia, and Ponahia, and Tiakiriri, and Kaikou and their children, a dwelling at Pohuenui for a dwelling and a plantation for Extent. [300 acres.] them and their children that shall be born to them for ever. The extent of it is this, three hundred (300) acres, being a Square on one side of the River, the length of it being the same as the breadth of it.
Conditions. Now therefore altho' I Mr. Busby do grant this farm to these men they are not to have the power to sell or to let it either to White men or to Natives, the Land being still mine, and if deserted by them or by their children this deed and this granting shall cease to be of force, and the Land shall return to me and my children. If also my cattle, horses, sheep or other live stock should trespass upon their farms, I shall by no means pay for the damage, for it is their part to fence in their farms to prevent the trespass of the cattle.

This Deed is written and executed on the nineteenth day of the month called February in the year of our Lord 1840.

James Busby.

19th Feby., 1840.

Witnesses—
William Colenso.
Gilbert Mair.

No. 24. O.L.C. A True Transcript of Certified Copy of Original Deed, Translation, and Enclosure.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 20th September, 1878.