Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Puparahaka Block, River Waihou, Hokianga District

Puparahaka Block, River Waihou, Hokianga District.

Know all men by these Presents that I the Tounue a Native Chief of the River Hokianga 1834. 23 November.Hokianga District. New Zealand Hath this day namely the Twenty-third day of November in the Year Puparahaka.Alex. Thomson. of our Lord One thousand Eight hundred and Thirty-four, Bargained Sold Transferred and Alienated and doth by these presents bargain, sell, alienate and transfer All that piece or parcel of Land known by the name of Ware Boundaries. [1,800 acres.] Ware Kauri bounded by the Kowow Creek on the one side, and known by the name of Paraka, by the Creek Ware Ware Kauri, On the other side by the Now's land on the other side, and by the River Hokianga on the front, Situated in New Zealand aforesaid, extending, inland miles to the River or Creek Oreda, Together with all Timber Waters Watercources Rivers Bays Streams Inlets rights of Ways and every other property appertaining thereto unto Alexander Thomson of the River of Hokianga aforesaid Sawyer His Heirs Assings and Administrators For Ever, for Fifty Pounds of Powder and Two pair of Blankets the Receipt. receipt whereof I hereby duly acknowledge. In Witness whereof I the said Tounue have set my hand and seal the day of the year first within written.

Tounue his x mark.
Auro his x mark.
Rowmatte his x mark.

Signed sealed and witnessed in the presence of—
J. S. Odeland.
G. S. Hagger.
Hugh Manall his x mark.

Wakauki received 1 Double Barrel'd Piece 1 Blanket and 1 Red Shirt. HowdidiAdditional payments. received 1 Blanket 1 Bag Shot. It is hereby considered that Rowmatte is entitled to one Blanket which I promise to pay. 150 lbs. of Powder to the Taonui Chief of the place.

Alex. Thomson.

Witness—
John Anderson.