Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

Waimate October the 9th, 1839.
Learn all men from this deed that I the undersigned do make over to Mr. Davis, to his 1839. 9 October. Kaihu (Part of).children and their generations for ever that land purchased by me from Makutahi bearing the name of Kaihu in the Waimate district situated below the barn of Richard Davis.Mr. James (Hamlin) and bounded on the South by the gulley below the aforesaid barn: Boundaries. [10 acres.]on the West by the land of Richard Tamaka, touching the brook of Kaihu, and from thence to Makutahi’s old house: on the North by the land purchased by James Davis of Makutahi, and runs on that line to the Wood purchased by Mr. Davis of Waraki and John Heke: and on the East by the aforesaid Wood. Understand therefore that I the undersigned do make over the land within the above mentioned boundaries to Mr. Davis, to his children and their generations for ever. And do receive in return from Mr. Davis Receipt.as an equivalent 10 yards of print, 1 bar of soap, 2 spades, 2 blankets, 4 shirts, and 2 duck frocks. And as a proof of the identity of this deed I do hereby sign my name.

Signed before us—[Witnesses.]

[Signatures.]

I the undersigned do approve of the above Article and do pronounce it just, I Receipt of Makutahi. having at first sold the above mentioned land to Samuel Davis and to his generations for ever Estimated at 10 acres more or less: and received from the said Samuel Davis as payment 1 blanket and 6 figs of tobacco. And as a proof of the validity of the above sale and purchase I do hereby sign my name on the 11th October in the year of our Lord 1839.

[Witnesses.]

[Signatures.]