1831. 15 August.Bay of Islands District.This
is to certify that on the 15th of August in the year of
our Lord 1831, Penamahue, Taratikitiki and Pou, all New Zealand Chiefs, did agree
on their part to give up for ever all that parcel or piece of land called
Warengarahu or Tapapanui containing by estimation fifty acres, more or less,
situated or lying to the North West of the Society’s estate Warengarahu.
Church of England Mission.
in the district of Waimate, together with all timber and timber-trees, and
all coppice and brush wood which shall be found growing, standing or lying
thereupon, to George Clarke
Davis and James Hamlin
on behalf of
the Church Missionary Society, to be held and enjoyed by them and their heirs for
ever. In consideration of Receipt.
which the aforesaid George
, Richard Davis and James
on their part and on the part of the Church Missionary Society do
agree to give as payment for the above mentioned piece or parcel of land and all
timber or wood found thereon, 30 Blankets, 12 Iron Pots, 8 Axes, 8 Adzes, 19 Hoes,
12 Plane irons, 30 Scissors, 16 Knives, 22 lbs. Boundaries. [50 acres.]
Tobacco, and 24 Pipes. The above mentioned piece of land is bounded on the
South by a River called Waitangi: on the East by a place called Pokapu: on the
North by Tapa-panui: on the West by a small stream of water called Wairengarahu,
and which empties itself into the Waitangi. The above mentioned piece of land and
timber were paid for in three instalments, viz. the first instalment on the second
of March the second on the sixth of August, the third and last on the fifteenth of
Henry Tacy Kemp.
No. 299r1.O.L.C. A True Transcript of Certified Copy of Original Deed and Translation.
H. Hanson Turton.
12th May, 1879.