Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

1835.Thames District.Know all men by this my Deed, that I, Waharoa, a rangatira of Paparahi, do hereby let go and sell to the Revd. A. N. Brown (te Paraone) for the Church Missionary Society, Kowaonui.their heirs and assigns for ever, to locate, sell or appropriate in any manner they may Church of England Mission.see fit, the land of my fathers and of me also. This is the boundary—Ko Waonui (Kawaonui) with the trees standing thereon, or whatever else may be found upon the [30 acres.]ground or deposited therein. This is the payment which I have received: 10 Dollars, Receipt. 4 blankets, 6 iron pots, 4 hoes, 3 adzes, 2 spades. In witness whereof I have written my sign, a sign of this my letting and this my selling on a certain day in the year One thousand eight hundred and thirty-five.

[Witnesses.]

[Signature.]

Correct Translation.

E. Shortland, P.A.

No. 444b.O.L.C. A True Transcript of Certified Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 22nd May, 1879.