Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

No. IV. — Te Kumi Block, Whangaboa, Mangonui District

No. IV.
Te Kumi Block, Whangaboa, Mangonui District.

Be it remembered that on this twenty-eighth day of January in the year of our Lord 1836. 28 January.Mangonui District. 1836, I, Nateawa of "Kaikohi" do hereby bargain and sell unto Mr. Thomas Florance, his heirs and assigns a certain tract of land called Te Kumi, situated on the East side of Te Kumi. the river Kaeo, Wangaroa, and bounded on the East by Papamawiti: on the South by Thomas Florance. Tepua: on the West by the said river and Pikinga: on the North by a path or native track running on the top of a ridge or range; And I the said Teawa do hereby guarantee unto the said Thomas Florance, his heirs and assigns peaceable possession of the said tract of land henceforward, he or they to have and to hold the same for ever, with all and every right of soil and timber thereof. The boundaries of the said tract are hereinafter more fully described.
Boundaries of "Te Kumi:" Commencing at the South East (on the East bank of Boundaries. [30 acres.] the river Kaeo) of Pikinga, and running North to the top of a ridge to a Native path: thence on the said path Easterly to a hole dug in the ground: thence South by marked trees to a small creek: thence by said creek to Tepua: thence West by the North boundary of Tepua to the river Kaeo: thence by said river (Northerly) to the place of beginning. About 30 acres.

In witness whereof I the said Na Teawa have hereunto set my signature or mark on the day and year first above written, having received the "utu katoa" or payment in full for the said tract of land and trees of every description.

page 8

Payment: 1 cask Powder 25lbs., 1 great coat, 2 spades, 1 bag shot, 1 musket, 1 gilt looking glass, 1 razor, 1 pocket knife, flints, cartridge paper &c. Amount £9 . 10 . 0 . Receipt

Signed x Na te awa.

In presence of—

Signed James x Tripp.
John Bemis.
Natetana.

True Copy.

H. Tacy Kemp.