Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Horua Makaka, etc., Block, Whangaroa, Mangonui District

Horua Makaka, etc., Block, Whangaroa, Mangonui District.

1834. 30 December.Mangonui District.Be it remembered that on this thirtieth day of December 1834, I Na Taka, rangatira of the lower parts of the river "Kaeo," Wangaroa, New Zealand, for and in consideration Horua Makaka.of certain goods as payment delivered to me by Mr. Thomas Florance, Do, for myself Thomas Florance. and heirs, hereby bargain and sell unto the said Thomas Florance his heirs and assigns for ever certain Tracts of Land the boundaries of which are hereinafter described; Further, I the said "Taka" do hereby agree and bind myself and heirs by these presents to guarantee from this day forward unto the said Thomas Florance his heirs or assigns full right and peaceable possession of the said Tracts of land, with all that appertains unto them the said lands for ever.

Names of the Tracts: Horua Makaka, Tepua, Kokakonui, Marakonoa, Pukuriri, and Na (Nga) Tara.

Boundaries.Boundaries of "Horua Makaka:" Commencing on the North-west side at the 1. Horua Makaka. South-east part of Paetu, situated and laying on each side of the river "Kaeo." lstly, That portion situated on the North-east side of said River, is bounded on the N.W. by a small stream of water running from the East towards the West into the said river: and on the South-east it is bounded by another small stream running from the East towards the West into the aforesaid river. And the other portion laying on the South-west side of the said river is bounded on the South-east by a small stream of water running from the Westward towards the East into the aforesaid river: on the North-west side it is bounded by a line commencing on the S. W. bank of said river and bearing South twenty-two degrees West to a ravine or gully. Thence South to the source of the South boundary stream.
2. Tepua.Boundaries of Tepua: situated on the North-east side of the river Kaeo, about [50 acres.] one and a half miles above "Wesley Dale:" bounded on the East by a high hill (Karangarau) and range: on the South-west by the said river; and on the North-west by lands belonging to the rangatira "Tareha," the west corner bearing East from the pa "Pohui," and two trees marked by the river's side. About 50 acres.
3. Kokakonui, &c.Boundaries of Kokakonui and Marakonoa: Bounded on the West by lands held by [300 acres.] the Wesleyan Mission; on the North by the river Kaeo; on the South-west by a high range part of which being called "Hongarahu," and the North-west extremity Ngatara, these two points being part and parcel of these Tracts of land,—Nga Tara's N. W. boundary S. 42° W. from side of river (at "Pohui" ford) until it strikes a path,—thence said path to the Southern extremity of said Nga Tara. 300 acres.
page 5
Boundaries of Pukuriri: situated on the North-east side of the river Kaeo: bounded on the North-west by the base of a range: on the South-west by the river Kaeo: on the South-east by the pa "Pohui" and a flax swamp: on the N. East by the 4. Pukuriri. western end or base of "Parairai" crossing Waikara to N. West boundary. 15 acres. [15 acres.]

In Witness whereof I the said Na Taka have hereunto set my hand or signature the day and date above written.

Witnesses—

Na Taka tana x tohu.
Na Kawe tana x tohu.

Signed Wakarua.
Joseph Hy. Shaw.
James Tripp his x mark.