Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

Know all men that this Deed was written by us Panakareao and Tribe on one side and 1834. 17 March. Mr. Puckey for the Church Missionary Society on the other. This Deed was written on the seventeenth day of the month called March in the year of our Lord One thousand Mangonui District. eight hundred and thirty-four. This Deed was written by us Panakareao and tribe on one side and by Mr. Puckey for the Church Missionary Society on the other shewing Kerekere No. 1. truly to us and to all men that I Panakareao and tribe have sold to Mr. Puckey for the Church of England Mission. Church Missionary Society a piece of land with all the trees on it and every thing else that grows on it and every thing under it. The size of this land may be one thousand acres either more or less. The chief name of the place is Kaitaia. The boundary on Boundaries. the North is the Tiki o Taiki, on the South the Wakarere, on the East te Kani Tatau, [2,000 acres.] on the West te Tou o Mauku. This place has been sold by me Panakareao and Tribe to Mr. Puckey for the Church Missionary Society. Mr. Puckey has given to Panakareao and tribe as a payment these things: 80 Blankets, 30 Hoes, 30 Iron pots, 30 scissors, Receipt. ten shark hooks, forty axes, thirty adzes, eighty plane irons, 2,000 fish hooks, 48 combs, 600 heads of tobacco, for the land and trees and all besides which I Panakareao and tribe have given to Mr. Puckey for the Church Missionary Society.

[Signatures.]

[Witnesses.]