Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 4. — The Chief Commissioner to Herbert S. Wardell, Esq., R.M

No. 4.
The Chief Commissioner to Herbert S. Wardell, Esq., R.M.

Wairarapa.—Respecting the Five-per-Cents on Sale of Land. Native Land Purchase Department, Auckland, 6th June, 1861.

Sir,—

At the date of purchase of certain lands in the Wairarapa District a clause was inserted in the deed of conveyance guaranteeing to the Native sellers that the sum of 5 per cent. of the net profit of sales by the Government should be appropriated for their benefit by certain persons to be appointed by the Governor of New Zealand. I have the honour to inform you that, in accordance with this promise, His Excellency the Governor has directed me to request that you will, in conjunction with Mr. Malcolm Frazer, enter upon an investigation of the question in order to the fulfilment of the terms above referred to. The Commissioner of Crown Lands and Receiver of Land Revenue at Wellington will be able to afford you much necessary information; and a statement of particulars, together with the amounts which have from time to time been advanced to the Natives, will be supplied to you per steamer "Stormbird" on her return to Wellington.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

Herbert S. Wardell, Esq., R.M., Wairarapa.