Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Major Speedy, R.M., to the Hon. the Native Minister

Major Speedy, R.M., to the Hon. the Native Minister.

The Claims of Natives to the Landing-place as a Reserve. Resident Magistrate's Office, Waiuku, 27th November, 1865.

Sir,—

I have the honour to inform you that a piece of land situated in the Village of Waiuku has been just cut up by the Government surveyors. This land is claimed by Aihepene and Hori. It is not among the pieces reserved by Mr. Turton for them, but I am given to understand that, since the completion of the purchase of the West Waiuku Block from the Ngatiteatas, Mr. Turton has offered them £100 for the piece referred to. I enclose a memorandum of Mr. Halse's, which mentions it as a Native reserve.

Hori Tauroa interfered with the surveyors, but on my promise to write to Government about it, and my assurance to him that the fact of the Government surveying it would not interfere with the title of the rightful owners, he allowed the survey to proceed.

I have, &c.,

Jas. Speedy,
Resident Magistrate.

The Hon. the Native Minister, Wellington.