Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Enclosure

Enclosure.

Te Aro, 9th January, 1865.

Friend,—

This is my word to you about my land at Te Aro, that I have given it to Mohi Ngaponga, and to his wife Hera, and to their children. The reason I give it is because I do not know the difficulties [? troubles] of this world. I have fixed this laud for Mohi Ngaponga, and for his wife Hera, and for their children. They will show my letter to you, when you can write a Crown grant for Mohi, and Hera, and their children. The acres of that land are seven, inside the fence; towards one side the fence is on the hill of Tira. You work this. This is my land I have fixed for Mohi, and for his Wife, and their children, lest I should be wrong, and that some other man should be hasty about this land. Therefore I have completed the gift of it to Mohi. You give him the Crown grant. My words are very straight. There is no dispute about this block. These are the names of his children: Mere Whakateni and Hemi Moturoa. Enough.

From your loving friend,

Ropiha Moturoa.

Mr. Swainson, Commissioner of Lands.