Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

The Resident Magistrate, Waipa, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

The Resident Magistrate, Waipa, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Waipa.—Requesting that Land at Whatawhata be reserved. Whatawhata, 11th November,1864.

Sir,—

It being the intention of the Government shortly to locate settlers at this post, I have to request that the point of land where I am at present residing may be held as a Government reserve. I lately had the honour of pointing out to you the locality to which I refer, and my reason for requesting it is that closely adjoining my house there is a burial-ground belonging to William Naylor and the Ngatimahanga Tribe, which consequently is held in high respect amongst them. I have been requested also by William Naylor and several other Natives to ask the Government to reserve this piece of land, as they are averse to the idea of the remains of some of the highest chiefs being desecrated by settlers. The whole piece is not above three acres, and a small portion is river frontage.

I have, &c.,

R. C. Mainwaring, R.M.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Auckland.