Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Mr. Commissioner Halswell to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

Mr. Commissioner Halswell to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Respecting the Native Reserves. Office for the Management of Native Reserves, Wellington, 5th July, 1842.

Sir,—

I have the honour to forward you herewith, in a tin case, a chart of the Company's surveys in the Manawatu and Horowhenua country, showing the reserves which I have chosen for the Natives in those districts.

As I have already reported, I have made those selections from personal inspections of the land, and according to the express desire of the Natives in some instances; and in the absence of such expressed wish, always considering the relative value of the land, I have taken special care to secure for them their own cultivations and pas.

I receive from time to time applications from various persons to rent the reserves already set apart for the benefit of the Natives in this port and the neighbourhood, but the short term of lease has been at once objected to by the applicants, and has prevented my obtaining any tenants for the land.

The Natives continue to cultivate their own reserves, and are spreading their plantations in various directions. They are generally adopting the European mode of cultivation, and are very anxious to obtain such seeds and plants from the settlers as they have not yet met with. They are moreover very much disposed to imitate the white population in the fashion of their houses as well as gardens.

I have permitted in some instances respectable parties to cut wood on the reserves, on condition of their leaving for the Natives one-eighth of the sawn timber for their future use and benefit. I have reverted to this plan in order to protect as much as possible the timber on the reserves, for it is otherwise impossible in the present state of the colony to prevent depredations from being committed.

I have, &c.,

Edmund Halswell,
Commissioner for the Management of Native Affairs.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.