Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 81. — Mr. Interpreter Deighton to his Honour Dr. Featherson

No. 81.
Mr. Interpreter Deighton to his Honour Dr. Featherson.

Wairarapa.—Respecting Wi Tutere's Application for Wharekaka Reserve. Wairarapa, 20th February, 1863

Sir,—

With reference to Wi Tutere's application for the Wharekaka Reserve, I remember the conversation that took place at Greytown, just as you were leaving for Wellington, when he asked leave to settle there till he was able to purchase it. You then told him he might do so, as the place would not be sold to the Europeans. He asked you at the time if you would give him a pukapuka, so that it would be all right. You then said there was no occasion for that, as Manihera had already applied for the land, and that you should not forget it, and that there was no fear of its being sold to the Europeans. He mentioned at the same time that he was going to build a whare there. The conversation took place outside the house, just before Mr. Mantell left, and as there was a great noise and disturbance among the Natives it is possible it may have slipped your memory. I remember the conversation from the fact of Tutere being so very anxious to have the pukapuka. I will see Tutere, however, and give him your message without delay. The estimate of the quantity of land in Karaitiana's block will be forwarded by next mail, and as I am to meet him on Tuesday I can sound him as to a price.

Romana's Claims.

Romana was speaking to me about his claims; but he is in the wrong, as one of his own people, Hakaraia, went with us and pointed out the boundaries. There are two streams named Mangatopitopi, and he was under the impression that both were included in the block, whereas the line runs between them, excluding the portion that belongs to him. I informed him that no payment would be given until the affair was properly investigated, and the consent of all the owners obtained, at which he was perfectly satisfied. I shall see the claimants to Borlase's homestead to-morrow or Monday, when I shall mention about the £200.

page 42

Mr. Wardell has a message from the Governor to give to Ngairo and others respecting the King's flag, and has requested me to be present with him, merely as a witness to their answer. I have promised to do so, with the understanding that I am not to appear in the matter in any way, or to say anything, as I told him I was cautioned by you some time ago to avoid the subject.

I have, &c.,

S. Deighton.

His Honour the Superintendent, Wellington.