Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 76.]

No. 76.

Major Speedy, R.M., to the Native Secretary.

Landing-place claimed as a Native Reserve. Waiuku, 3rd May, 1862.

Sir,—

I have the honour to forward you a letter dated Waiuku, 3rd May, 1862, with a translation, by which you will perceive Hori Tauroa and Pita te Whare lay claim to the land in front of Campbell's page 40publichouse, in the Township of Waiuku, which runs some distance along the creek. They desire to obtain a Crown grant for the same with the view of selling the land to Mr. Currie, a settler at Waiuku.

I have, &c.,

Jas. Speedy,
Resident Magistrat.

The Native Secretary, Auckland.

Minute by Mr. H. Halse, Assistant Native Secretary.

Forwarded for the information of the Government.

The land claimed by Tauroa and Pita is a Native reserve, and most likely regarded as common property to all the Ngatiteatas, of which tribe the writers of this letter are members. If the Governor advised Hori Tauroa as stated, I presume it will be necessary to obtain the consent of the owners to place the land under the provisions of "The Native Reserves Act, 1856." But previously to attempting this I submit that it may be well for Major Speedy to inquire more closely into the reasons of this desire on the part of Hori Tauroa and Pita, in order that the Government may be satisfied of their soundness and sufficiency.

H. Halse.

13th May, 1862.