Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 73.]

No. 73.

Reports of Proposed Cession of a Piece of Land for Resident Magistrate's Residence.

Waiapu.Proposed Cession of Land for Magistrate's Residence. Auckland, 9th January, 1862.

Sir,—

The Natives of the Waipu District having offered to cede a piece of land (estimated to contain from fifteen to twenty acres) to the Crown, as the site for the residence of the Magistrate, I have the honour to request that I may be informed what steps are to be taken in order to the execution of the necessary deed of cession. The Natives of Tokomaru offered a site for the same purpose during my recent visit, or rather, I should say, expressed their willingness to do so in case any difficulty was experienced at Waiapu in procuring one.

Under these circumstances, and anticipating the location at some future time of a Magistrate within the Tokomaru District, I would suggest that their present disposition should be availed of, especially as from my long and personal acquaintance with them I am sanguine of success in this matter.

I have, &c.,

William B. Baker, R.M.

The Native Secretary, &c.
15th January, 1862.

In my general report of the 3rd instant, I stated the particulars connected with the offer of a site for a Magistrate's residence, viz., that the Natives positively declined to sell an acre of land; that they offered to give from twelve to twenty acres for this purpose. A letter, signed by thirty-two of the principal chiefs residing between Rangitukia and Whangara offering this land, was enclosed.

The land offered is situated near the pa of Rangitukia, on the banks of the Marahea, a stream of considerable volume which bounds it on the north; on the east, or front, lies the trunk road intended to lead up the valley; the southern boundary is a line running from the fence of Hohepa te Rore's wheat-field (and at a right angle to the main road) towards Te Mapara; the back boundary, a small stream. The soil is of excellent quality, and perfectly level. There is not a tree upon it except a few young manuka.

I append hereto the original, with translation of the Maori letter referred. I feel it to be my duty again to state that the Ngatiporou are extremely jealous of any attempt to acquire (by purchase or deed of gift) any portion of their land. Even though they had themselves opened the question, I found it necessary to be extremely cautious; the very word "whenua," used by an agent of the Government, seemed sufficient to arouse suspicion and distrust. Other sites were named, but objected to by me on account of their distance from the pa at Rangitukia.

In a letter, dated as far back as the latter end of 1860, the Ngatiporou offered a site at Te Kawakawa (Karakatuwhero). As my instructions directed me to locate myself at Waiapu; I made no page 39inquiries about this land; but I was informed that it is very well situated fertile, and possesses the advantage of being near Hicks Bay, from which place there are more frequent opportunities of communicating with Auckland than from any other on the coast.

I respectfully request to be informed, in order that I may give a definite answer to the Natives, whether the offer of the land at Rangitukia is accepted; or whether an extension of the boundaries of that piece will be necessary; or whether negotiations should be opened with them for a fresh site of greater extent, near Rangitukia; or whether, in the event of failure at Waiapu, a site is to be acquired elsewhere; or whether the offer of Karakatuwhero will be accepted, and the Magistrate's location be removed to Te Kawakawa. May I also be informed whether a site is to be obtained at Tokomaru?

William B. Baker.,

Rangitukia, Waiapu, 20th December, 1861.

O Sire, our loving Parent,—

We greet you. The Magistrate has come hither to our village. We have saluted [lit., sighed towards] the law, that it may be a loving parent to benefit the children, the old women, the old men, the orphans, and the poor. A certain portion of our land has been ceded to us for him, that is, upon your name. We rejoice over this great boon which has come amongst us, namely, the law of the Queen, which is to arrange the portions of our land that they may be right; for our roads, that they may be made straight; and for all good works also, that they may be performed [introduced] among us, lest the root of bitterness spring up, and the many be confused.

From me,

Rawiri Rangikatia.
[And 31 others.]

His Excellency Sir George Grey, K.C.B., &c.