Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 15 — Mr. Sub-Protector Edward Shortland to the Chief Protector

No. 15
Mr. Sub-Protector Edward Shortland to the Chief Protector.

Thames.Land reserved from Sale sufficiently large. Maketu, 27th January, 1845.

Sir,—

In answer to your letter, dated 26th November, 1844, desiring me to visit the chiefs Taraia, Te Awe, Hou, and others in the District of Hauraki, in order to ascertain what reserves they intend to make for themselves in their contemplated sales of land to Europeans, I have the honour to inform you that I reached Tararu on the 9th of January, when I found that the whole Native population had proceeded to Auckland to settle a dispute relating to the sale of land at Waiheke. At Opita, however, I found some Natives who were able to point out to me the land proposed for sale, which is situated chiefly on the west bank of the river, commencing a few miles above, Opita, and extending several miles south towards the Aroha Mountain. A very small piece was pointed out as offered for sale on the east bank of the river.

As in your letter you merely directed my attention to the inquiry whether sufficient reserves for the present and prospective wants have been made by the Natives, your knowledge of the district will, with this, information, satisfy you that they have amply provided for themselves by retaining the choicest and most extensive lands on the river. But there appears to me to be another question of equal importance to be determined, which is, whether the persons who offer this large extent of land for sale are in themselves competent to give the purchaser such a title as will insure undisturbed possession. This inquiry would, however, necessarily occupy some time.

I have, &c.,

Edward Shortland.

The Chief Protector of Aborigines, &c.