Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

(No. 2.) — The Hon. D. McLean to his Honour the Superintendent, Wellington

(No. 2.)
The Hon. D. McLean to his Honour the Superintendent, Wellington.

Native Office, Wellington, 30th March, 1872.

Sir,—

Referring to the suggestions made by your Honour in a conversation held with you on the subject of the Rangitikei Manawatu Block, I have the honour to inform you that I entirely concur with your views on the subject of the resumption by you of the management of these lands. I have already intimated to your Honour that the main difficulties connected with this question have been removed. They consisted chiefly in the surveys and definition of reserves and boundaries; and now all arrangements concerning the larger reserves, and those whose adjustment was attended with the greatest difficulties, have been completed so as to obviate any future complications. At the same time, there are still details to be settled, such as the definition of burial-grounds, eel-lagoons, &c. Your Honour is aware of the importance often attached by Natives to isolated spots of this kind, and of the advantage which in many cases attends the surrender of a few acres situated in localities where the land is not of much value. With regard to the surveyors-whom you so promptly placed under my instructions to mark off the Native reserves, I consider that the time has now arrived for re-transferring them to your Honour, and for the discontinuance of advances for their pay. I do not think that the services of more than one will be necessary to complete the arrangements entered into by me with the Natives, and for this service I would suggest the employment of Mr. Morgan Carkeek, who was present at the several interviews affecting the reserves.

Among the unfinished transactions, there is one touching two mortgages—one for £1,000; the other for £500. On the £1,000 mortgage the Natives have already obtained an advance of £300, leaving them to receive a sum of £1,200 altogether. This is to be paid, at the request of the Natives, on the completion of all surveys in which Ngatikauwhata are interested, and on the final definition of all reserves. It has also been arranged that maps should be furnished, signed by the Natives prior to the payment of the money, and that some of the leading chiefs should give the necessary authority for Mr. Macdonald to receive it for them, and should attend in Wellington to witness the payment.

The drafts of the deeds are now in the hands of the Attorney-General for preparation. Instructions will be issued to the Treasury to enable you to obtain the above-named sum of £1,200 when required.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean..

His Honour the Superintendent, Wellington.