Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 11. — The New Zealand Company's Agent, New Plymouth, to Colonel Wakefieid

No. 11.
The New Zealand Company's Agent, New Plymouth, to Colonel Wakefieid.

Respecting, Management of Native Reserves. New Plymouth, 22nd January, 1844.

Sir,—

The outrage committed by the Natives on Mr. Cooke's property suggests the necessity of applying to Her Majesty's Government not only for a military force sufficient to enable the Magistrates to keep the peace in this district, but for a judicious management of the Native reserves.

More than a twelvemonth has now elapsed since, at the request of the Bishop of New Zealand, I consented to act as deputy to Mr. St. Hill, agent for the trustees, in letting and superintending the Native property in Taranaki. Of course the service was to be performed gratuitously, and in no way to interfere with my duties as Company's agent. It appeared probable that the Company's interests and the operations of the settlers might be forwarded by my acting in the capacity above mentioned. I immediately let several Native sections on advantageous terms to respectable tenants; but, the Bishop having been misinformed that I had leased sections to Europeans which the Natives occupied or wished to occupy themselves, his Lordship wrote me an official letter, dated 5th April, 1843, requesting me to abstain from acting on behalf of the Native reserves in any ostensible manner, and stating also his desire that, in the matter of letting of their land, "the wishes of the Natives might in all cases be consulted." In my reply I set the Bishop right as to the fact of my not having let land against the wishes of the Natives. At the same time, I resolved not to interfere at all in the management of the Native reserves, perceiving that such interference might lead me into difficulty, and place me in a position improper for the Company's agent. In a letter dated 27th June, 1843, I signified this determination to the Bishop; and since that period I am not aware that any care has been taken of the Native property in Taranaki by any person, be he trustee, commissioner, or agent. In his letter of the 5th April, the Bishop informed me that "he had as yet received no other authority than the official letter of the late Governor, and that all agreements entered into by him, or agents under his authority, must be subject to the provisions of an Ordinance in Council hereafter to be enacted." I believe nothing has been done to cure the defect in the Bishop's powers, which is of itself sufficient to stop advantageous leasing of the reserves. I beg to refer you to my monthly report for November, 1843, wherein I mention the Bishop's expressed determination that the Native reserves should not be occupied by the aborigines, but be let for their benefit, and my protest against their occupation of other lands than their reserves; and I now request you to notice the apparent inconsistency of the Bishop's present plan with that adopted by him in his instructions to me of the 5th of April last, to the effect that the wishes of the Natives were always to be consulted as to the letting or occupation of their reserves.

As I have some reason to suspect that an incorrect representation of the value of the Native reserves in this settlement may be made to Her Majesty's Government, I should be much obliged by your assuring the Court of Directors—(1) That the Native reserves in the Taranaki. Block are amply sufficient, if judiciously managed, both for the support of the now resident Native population, although recently their numbers have been much increased by returned slaves, and for the establishment and maintenance of schools, hospitals, &c.; (2) that the Native property has been neglected in a manner quite sufficient to account for its present unproductiveness; (3) that to the want of a proper management, and the interference of some officer qualified and duly authorized by Government to explain their real condition to the Natives, are mainly to be attributed such disturbances as have recently occurred at Mr. Cooke's.

I have, &c.,

J. T. Wicksteed,
Resident Agent for New Plymouth.

Colonel William Wakefield.