Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

List of Lands to be reconveyed to the Natives under Crown Grant as by Special Agreement

List o[unclear: f] Lands to be reconveyed to the Natives under Crown Grant as by Special Agreement

1. Native Reserves No. I.

Extent.—551 acres situate at Whatawhata, on the left proper bank of the Waipa.

Boundaries.—Commencing at Ikurangi, on the bank of the River Waipa, leaving out the point of land called Pungapunga (about twenty acres rebels' land, reserved for Government use), and running nearly north-west, striking the river, again following the course of the Waipa to a creek called Here-paenoa; from thence it runs south, keeping a swamp on the right hand till it reaches the Tawatawa Creek, which runs into the Waipa, and forms the southern boundary; thence down the Waipa till you reach the Ikurangi, which forms the eastern boundary. Plan attached.

Grantees.—(1) Hami Ngaropi, of Ngatimahanga; (2) Hemi Matene te Puke, of Ngatimahanga; (3) Hone Kiagi Muriwhenua, of Ngatimahanga; (4) Te Waapu.

Nature of Grant agreed on.—In trust for the members of the tribe, but with full power to lease or sell.

Native Beserves No. II.

Extent.—455 acres on left proper bank of Waipa.

Boundaries.—Commencing at Parewhakataha, on the Waipa (nearly opposite to Tuikaramea), and running inland to Pukahukahu; then running north to Horomamaku, on the Mangakowhai, and following the course of that stream to the Waipa River; and then from the confluence of the Mangakowhai to Parewhakataha. Plan attached.

Grantees.—(1) Hetereka Otene-Riri, Ngatimahanga; (2) Akana Whaingara, Ngatimahanga; (3) Kereona Putoitoi, Ngatimahanga; (4) Piripi Otene, Ngatimahanga; (5) Tewi Otene, Ngatimahanga; (6) Rihimona Otene, Ngatimahanga; (7) Te Waaka Otene, Ngatimahanga.

Nature of Grant.—Same as Reserve No. I.

page 51

Native Reserves No. III.

Extent.—632 acres above Kaniwhaniwha Stream, on left proper bank of River Waipa.

Boundaries.—Commencing at the junction of the Kaniwhaniwha with River Waipa, and running up the former stream till it reaches the Totara; thence in a right line to the mouth of the Kohangawhirinoa Stream, and following the course of the Waipa to its junction with the Kaniwhaniwha.

Grantees.—(1) Te Aho, of Aotea; (2) Rihimonaotene; (3) Te Kewhene te Paia; (4) Te Rakena; (5) Hohepate Poria; (6) Wiremu Nera te Awaitaia, Ngatimahanga.

Nature of Grant.—Same as Nos. I. and II.—i.e., unconditional.

Native Reserves No. IV.—(Puketutu.)

Extent.— As surveyed, it is 3,400 acres and 28 perches, but the surveyor was misled by the Natives in the first instance. The names of the boundaries are right, and Major Heaphy will be able to insert the proper area on the Crown grant when it arrives. Plan attached.

Boundaries.—Commencing at Maunarima, and keeping the boundary-line to the Otonga Creek; running up the Otonga Creek to its meeting with the Mangaokahu Creek, and following the course of the latter till it falls into the Waitetuna, and so on in that river to the starting-point.

Grantees.—Wiremu Nera te Awaitaia, Ngatimahanga; Hakopa te Kotuku, Ngatimahanga; Hapeta Waaka Nukutaurua, Ngatimahanga; Hone Kingi Huriwhenua, Ngatimahanga; Eruini Matetaitua, Ngatimahanga; Te Waapu, Ngatimahanga; Hemi Nera, Ngatimahanga; Hemi te Puru, Ngatimahanga; Hone Pirihi, Ropata Piko, Hoani Ngaiwhi.

Nature of Grant.—Same as Reserves Nos. I., II., and III.

Native Reserves No. V.

Extent.—100 acres, situate at Kaiparera, on the left proper bank of the Waipa. Plan attached.

Boundaries.—As per plan.

Grantee.—A. J. Dickey, Clerk of Native Land Compensation Court, in trust for his wife, Eliza Dickey.

Nature of Grant.—As above.

Native Reserves No. VI.

Extent.—50 acres, Lot No. 61, on bank of the Mangaotama Creek, which runs into the Waipa below Te Rore.

Boundaries.—See plan attached.

Grantee.—Wiremu Nera te Awaitaia, chief of Ngatimahanga, Raglan.

Nature of Grant.—To himself unconditionally.

Native Reserves No. VII.

Extent.—22 acres 3 roods, Lot No. I., on proper right bank of Mangaotana Creek.

Grantee.—Wiremu Nera te Awaitaia, chief of Ngatimahanga Tribe, Whaingaroa.

Nature of Grant.—Unconditionally to himself.

Native Reserves No. VIII.

—(Reserves for the Ngatihourua Tribe, residing at Whatawhata, on the Waipa River.)

Reserve 1.—500 acres of country land at Tuhikaramea, about three miles above Whatawhata, on proper right bank of the River Waipa.

Grantees.—Matutaera te Kaniwhaniwha, Mohi te Rongomau, Waaka te Ruki, and Haria Tatai.

Nature of Grant.—Conditional. In trust for the members of the tribe, but without power either to lease or sell.

Reserve 2.—13 acres 1 rood 34 perches, situated at Te Taia, Whatawhata. Plan annexed.

Reserve 3.—3 acres 2 roods at Pehihoukura, Whatawhata; at present the residence of the local Magistrate, but to devolve on the Natives when no longer required by Government for any special purpose. As an old cemetery, it is better under our care than theirs. Plan annexed.

Grantees and Nature of Reserve.—The same as at Tuhikaramea, Reserve No. 1, above.

Reserve 4.—5 acres at Whatawhata, timber land: that is, twenty quarter-acre sections. Sections Nos. 150 to 170. See plan.

Reserve 5.—6 acres 1 rood at Whatawhata: that is, twenty-five quarter-acre town sections.

Grantees and Nature of Grant.—The grant for these two reserves had better remain until I can visit Waipa again, and so fix each claimant on his own proper section. I will then forward the names, numbers, and other particulars.