Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 8. — The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to the Chief Protector

No. 8.
The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to the Chief Protector.

Sanctioning purchase of land between Manukau and Waikato. Colonial Secretary's Office,
Auckland, 29th August, 1842.

Sir,—

In reply to your letter of the 16th instant, No. 65, in which you state that the Native Chief, Kaihau, is desirous to sell to Her Majesty's Government, a tract of land situate between Manukau and Waikato, estimated to contain thirty thousand acres (30,000) for the sum of (£500), and request that a deposit may be paid to the natives at once, as an assurance of the intention of Government to complete the purchase when the transaction has been finally adjusted; I do myself the honor to acquaint you by direction of the Governor, that the Colonial Treasurer has been instructed to prepare as early as possible for His Excellency's signature a warrant for the sum of fifty pounds (£50), and to impress the same against your name until the purchase has been completed and the deed for the land lodged in this office.

In order to ascertain the boundaries of the contemplated purchase, for insertion in the deed of conveyance, the Surveyor General has been requested to direct a surveyor to accompany Mr. Meurant and the natives over the land, and to report accordingly.

You will therefore have the goodness to instruct Mr. Meurant to put himself in communication with the officer, whom the Surveyor-General may appoint, in order to arrange the time and mode of carrying this order into execution.

I am further commanded to inform you that any portion of the stipulated payment, which the natives may be disposed to take in goods from the Colonial Store, will be duly issued upon your requisition.

I have, &c.,

Willoughby Shortland.

The Chief Protector of Aborigines.