Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 7. — The Chief Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 7.
The Chief Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Manukau.—Offers of land by Kaihau. Protector's Office,
Auckland, 17th August, 1842.

Sir,—

With reference to the tract of land offered for sale by the Chief Kaihau and others, estimated to contain twenty thousand acres, a sketch of which has been lately forwarded to you, I have the honor to inform you that the chiefs are willing to alienate the said lands for the sum of Five hundred pounds sterling: but as some considerable time will probably elapse 'ere the purchase can be finally adjusted in consequence of instructions lately received from your office relative to this subject, they are desirous that a deposit of One hundred pounds be paid down as security.

page 279

I should strongly recommend the adoption of this line of proceeding in reference to purchases of land made from the Aboriginies, as it tends to allay their natural impatience, whilst it gives them ample assurance of the fulfilment of the contract.

I have, &c.,

George Clarke,

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary Chief Protector.