Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 43. — Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner

page 298

No. 43.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

Ramaroa.—The Native Owners will not accept the Price fixed. Auckland, 26th April, 1859.

Sir,—

With reference to Mr. Searancke's memorandum 57-351 regarding the final settlement of Ramaroa and Opoia, situated in the Manukau District, I have the honor to acquaint you, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that I proceeded to Waiuku on the 2nd inst. for the purpose of paying the last instalment for the above named blocks. Immediately after my arrival, I communicated with Katipa, who objected to the small sum to be paid for the land, and repeated what he and the other Natives stated to yourself at the Land Purchase Office, namely, that the question of price had never been settled between them and Mr. Searancke, and it was most probable the Natives would not accept the sum of One hundred and twenty-five pounds (£125) as the final payment. It was, however, arranged that messages should be sent to the claimants in the district, and that sufficient time should be allowed for the Natives to assemble at Waiuku. Accordingly, in about ten days afterwards I met the Natives, who discussed the question of price with me for several days; and although many of them were disposed to take the money, yet there were several of the leading men, including Katipa, who raised objections owing to the smallness of the amount, and requested me to return the money to the Government.

I then proposed to make an arrangement regarding the price to be paid for Waitara Block, which has recently been surveyed by Mr. Sinclair, giving them the extent in acres; but some of the claimants to this land being absent, the Natives present desired to postpone the question of price for this block until your return to Auckland.

The enclosed tracing will illustrate the different blocks of land above referred to.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq., Chief Commissioner, Auckland.