Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Johnson

The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Johnson.

Pukekohe—To define the boundary of a Native Reserve. Land Commissioner's Office, February 3rd, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor to request that you will proceed to define the boundary of the Native Reserve in the Pukekohe Block.

The fact of your having been engaged in negotiating the purchase of the Pukekohe points you out as the best qualified of the officers of this Department to undertake the duty. In making the Pukekohe purchase, a large portion was set apart as a Native Reserve, the exact boundaries of which were not defined at the time, nor has anything been subsequently done to settle this question.

Land in that locality is now becoming very valuable; and, from what I can learn, several portions of the reserve have been alienated to Europeans, a circumstance which must give rise to difficulties and litigations, unless the question is definitely arranged without further delay.

It will be, of course, your duty to observe strictly the terms of the contract entered into between the Government and the Natives for the cession of the Pukekohe Block, and to assure the Natives an equal quantity of waste land to what you may now be able to induce them to relinquish, in order that the Government may fulfil its engagement with the European purchasers who have selected portions of this reserve.

The Provincial Government are sending a surveyor to accompany you on this service, and it is essential that the boundaries may now be so clearly defined in the presence of the Natives that no future disputes may arise out of this purchase.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

J. G. Johnson, Esq., J.P., District Commissioner, Whangarei.