Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 23. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp (Acting for the Chief Commissioner) to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 23.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp (Acting for the Chief Commissioner) to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Waiuku.—Has paid the Sum of £1,500 on account of that Block. Land Purchase Department,
Auckland, 14th November, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for the information of His Excellency the Officer Administering the Government, that, with a view to carrying out arrangements which had been entered into by Mr. Commissioner McLean for the extinguishment of a number of native claims to the Waiuku Block, the sum of Fifteen hundred pounds (£1,500) has been paid to them under the following circumstances.

On the day before Mr. McLean's departure for the South, it was understood that the Native tribes to whom I now refer were willing to accept a sum of Twelve hundred pounds (£1,200) for the extinction of their claims; but, on the succeeding day, fresh demands were made by them, and to a very much larger amount.

As an important claim had since arisen made by a Native chief named Epiha or Jabez, and the sum of Fifty pounds having been formerly promised to him by the Surveyor-General if he would surrender that claim, aware also that the Waiuku Block was much needed for the Province, and feeling, moreover, convinced, from the disposition evinced during the discussion, that so large a body of the Natives interested in the sale of this land could not soon again be brought together, and, if brought together, that the sum which they would now be induced to take would at any future time be rejected, the sum above mentioned, which appeared to be fair and reasonable, and sufficient to meet the different claims, was accepted by them, a deed having been duly executed and signed on the 11th inst., a translation of which shall be forwarded without delay. The reserves in the Waiuku Block have been all parambulated by Mr. White, in the presence of the Natives, and the surveyor, Mr. Ormsby, who has been engaged for some time in laying off the boundaries of the block, and of the Native reserves, which are not, however, quite finished. It would be very desirable, indeed, if His Excellency would be pleased So cause instructions to be sent to Mr. Ormsby to hasten the completion of the surveys of the reserves, in order that the block might, as soon as possible afterwards, be opened up for selection.

Mr. White, who has been chiefly employed in carrying out the details preparatory to the payments for the block, would be ready, as he has always been, to assist the surveyor, in the event of any difficulty arising. As this is a point of some importance, to be carried out by the surveyor as early as possible, I would venture to recommend it for His Excellency's consideration and approval.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp,
Native Secretary.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary,
Auckland.