Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 15. — Mr. Interpreter Johnson to the Surveyor-General

No. 15.
Mr. Interpreter Johnson to the Surveyor-General.

Manukau.—Wetere's Claim to Mangere. Native Secretary's Office, 28th July, 1852.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report that, in accordance with your directions. I again yesterday went to Ihumatao, carrying with me the £25 which Wetere had consented to take on Saturday, but repudiated again on Monday morning, calling at Orakei on the way, where I obtained the assistance of the chief Te Wiremu (the principal owner and seller of the land to Mr. Tinlay) to accompany me, and use his endeavours to stay the proceedings of Wetere.

We first saw Jabez Bunting (Epiha) and his party, who, I was pleased to find, entirely disapproved of the conduct of Wetere, stating that if he committed any overt act he could not expect any of them to assist him. Their words were these:—"Verily we believe him to be mad." With this chief I left the Twenty-five pounds (£25), as he promised to exert himself by every means in his power to make Wetere accept the money. Finding that Wetere had not arrived, I remained at Ihu Matao that night, and this morning saw Waata and the other natives at the pa. The tenor of their remarks were to the same effect as those of Jabez Bunting, that they thought Wetere altogether page 282 wrong and were in no way inclined to assist him. I then went to Omarangi, and connselled the Natives there who promised to stand aloof from Wetere: here a few young men shewed a troublesome spirit, but were speedily silenced by the arguments of the Ngatiwhatua chief who accompanied me.

I was at this point just preparing to return when we perceived Wetere carrying a taiaha or long spear in his hand, approaching the premises of Major Greenwood. I immediatly crossed the creek towards Major Greenwood's tents with a view of arresting Wetere in his purpose, whereupon he passed by me without making any remark and went across the creek to the Native settlement which I had just left.

We then held a general meeting of the Natives at Omarangi, where they told Wetere openly what they had previously told myself; and further, that he had been quarrelling with all the Natives, and no wonder he now quarrelled with the Europeans; and before leaving, they intimated their intention to me of holding a general meeting to put him down.

Weteri was at first very violent, but gradually relaxed when he found everyone against him. He called the Natives a parcel of slaves, and that he would burn their houses over their heads if they did not take part with him. He cited the conduct of Heke and Rangihaeata, and said, "Look what they have done, and still they have not been destroyed," and that he would follow their example. After a very lengthened discussion between Wetere and the Natives, in which he declared himself firm to his purpose, I returned; the Natives assuring me that Wetere dare not so far outrage public opinion as to commit any aggression at present.

On my way home I passed through Major Greenwood's premises, and told his overseer that perhaps Wetere might come over and threaten them; that if he did so, he would most probably be single handed, and that their best plan was to allow him to talk, and go on with their work without taking any notice of him.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
Interpreter.

The Surveyor-General, &c.