Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 14. — The Native Interpreter Johnson to the Surveyor-General

No. 14.
The Native Interpreter Johnson to the Surveyor-General.

Manukau—As to Weteri's claim to Mangere. Native Secretary's Office, 23rd July, 1852.

Sir,—

In compliance with the directions I received, I saw Te Kauwau and the Ngatiwhatua tribe on the subject of Weteri's claim to the land at Mangere, who stated that he had no recognized right to any part of that district, but that they had originally sprung from a common ancestor; that Weteri did not allow Kauwau any share of the money he got by the sale of land on the south side of Manukau; therefore the, Ngatiwhatua did not admit Weteri's claim to the land on this side; that even Weteri had no claim to Ihumatao, where he now resides, except through him, Te Kauwau, who had been born there, and had always regarded that place as his property; while on the other hand Weteri and his party had been separated from them for generations, and transferred their claims to other parts of the country, on the south side of Manukau, and in Waikato.

He however told me to say, that if the Governor had no objection to allow Weteri Twenty Pounds (£20), or even half that sum, for any claim he might fancy to arise from their having sprung from a common ancestor, that he Te Kauwau, would not raise any objection, although Weteri had never allowed Te Kauwau to participate in the proceeds of the sale of lands elsewhere sold by Weteri and derived from the same ancestor through whom Weteri now claims Mangere.

That recently, during the last survey of Mangere, on hearing of Weteri's claim, he had gone there with Te Wherewhero, and remonstrated with Weteri on his conduct, and that Weteri had then publicly confessed his error and promised to relinquish their claims; but he supposed that Weteri wanted money and was trying it again.

On arriving at Ihumatao, I was informed that neither Epiha nor Weteri were there; but having assembled the Natives of the place and questioned them, I found their statements corroborated that of Te Kauwau. They were unable to point out any particuiar piece of land claimed by Weteri, but said that Weteri, having sprung from a common ancestor with Te Kauwau had a general claim on all lands sold by Te Kauwau on the north side of Gedde's line, but none on that sold by Mohi to Mr. Jackson; and that if Weteri did not receive a payment, he would drive Major Greenwood off. They were not excited on the subject, and I merely regarded this as a threat to extort a payment.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnston,
Interpreter.

The Surveyor-General, &c.