Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 11. — The Chief Protector to the Surveyor-General

No. 11.
The Chief Protector to the Surveyor-General.

Mr. Meurant to visit Weteri. Protector's Office,
Auckland, 13th December, 1843.

Sir,—

By a communication received from the Colonial Secretary's Office, dated 11th instant, I have been informed that the services of Mr. Meurant have been transferred to your department. In a subsequent communication, however, from the Secretary's office, I am requested to instruct Mr. Meurant to visit Wiremu Weteri to acquaint him that his Excellency will not consent to withdraw from his engagement. But, presuming these directions concerning Mr. Meurant to have been inadvertently forwarded to me, as that gentleman had been previously removed from my department, I do myself the honor to submit the entire clauses to you in order that the wishes of his Excellency may be carried out:—

"I am at the same time to request that you will have the goodness to instruct Mr. Meurant to visit Wiremu Weteri, and apprise him that His Excellency will not consent to his withdrawing from his engagement, and must hold him answerable for any breach of the peace. You will also request Mr. Meurant to communicate with Jabez Bunting, who his Excellency considers may have sufficient influence over his uncle to induce him to remain quiet."

I have, &c.,

George Clarke,

The Surveyor-General, &c.

Chief Protector, Aborigines.