Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 1. — The Chief Protector to Mr. Edward Meurant

page 277

No. 1.
The Chief Protector to Mr. Edward Meurant.

Manukau.—-Land Offered for Sale. Protector's Office,
Auckland, 12th January, 1842

Sir,—

The chiefs Tihi and others having offered to sell to Her Majesty's Government a tract of country, situated on the Manukau, I am directed by His Excellency the Governor to instruct you to proceed to that district and ascertain as far as possible the extent of the land they propose selling, the names of the boundary lines, the quality of the land, and its locality, with reference to land claimed by Mr. Fairburn, and the land of and about Awaroa, and furnish me with a report on the same immediately on your return.

You will find the chief's sons ready to accompany you, and point out the boundary lines. You will endeavor to ascertain whether any other land besides that purchased by Mr. Fairburn has been sold in the neighborhood, and carefully exclude as a portion of the purchase any such lands; and, lastly, you will give publicity to the natives in the vicinity of the object of your visit.

I have, &c.,

George Clarke.

Mr. E. Meurant.