Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 64. — Lieut.-Colonel McDonnell to Mr. J. Knowles

page 204

No. 64.
Lieut.-Colonel McDonnell to Mr. J. Knowles.

Little Barrier Island.Auckland, 7th August, 1873.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report my return form the Northern district of Auckland, and state, for the information of the Government, that, on proceeding to Otamatea from here to see Arama Karaka about the Little Barrier, and his grievance respecting the land purchased by Mr. Thomas Henry, of Whangarei, I met Arama Karaka at Helensville on the 2nd July. He was on his way up here, a writ having been taken out against him. After conversation between Arama Karaka and myself about the 500 acres of land he lays claim to, though occupied by Mr. Henry, he agreed to take 6s. an acre, or £150 for his claim on the land; but he declared emphatically that his treatment had been most unjust, and that he consented only consequence of his being pressed for money. I wrote a telegram and sent it to Major Green, in Auckland for transmission to Wellington, acquainting the Government with what had passed.

I spoke to Arama Karaka about the Little Barrier Island, and from what he and other Natives have told me, I believe that Arama Karaka and Hori te More are the principal owners. Arama is willing to sell the island, and asked me to go and see the quality of the land and timber on it before anything further is said. I think it may be purchased at a fair price, and, should the Government wish to dispose of it again, a large profit might be realized, for, had it not been understood it was Government property, it would have been bought some time ago. I will wait until I receive instructions before I visit and report on the Island in question.

On the 3rd July I proceeded to Mangawhau to see Parore and Tirarau in reference to the Mangakahia land, and gained the information required; after which, with some trouble, I procured a Native to accompany me to Mangakahia, but did not reach Managkahia till the morning of 5th. The Native proved ignorant of the road, and we were over fifty-four hours in the bush without food of any kind, and it rained all the while, making a heavy fresh in the rivers we had to cross. On arriving at Mangakahia I met the chiefs Matiu and others, and, subject to approval, arranged for a piece of land called Pekapekarau, and directed Mr. Parris to survey it: the price asked is 2s. 6d. an acre, but I have left this an open question.

Another block of considerable size and fair land is offered for sale, called Totarapoka. The Natives told me that His Honor Mr. Gillies wished to obtain this block, and was going over it, but something prevented him. Should the Government desire this piece of land, the chief Parore has claims adjoining, and wishes to accompany the officer sent to negotiate the purchase, so as to be able to protect his interests. Through fatigue arising from my bad journey I was detained at Mangakahia, but proceeded on the 6th to the Bay of Islands, en route for Mangonui; reached Ahipara on the 18th, and then held a meeting with the principal chiefs of the place in reference to the land called the Victoria Valley.

Timoti Pohipi and others said they were not at all anxious to sell their land; that my visit had rather taken them by surprise; but that they were glad to see me, and would hear what I had to say to them. I pointed out that they could never use all their good land, and the best plan was to dispose of a portion so that immigrants could be placed upon. They seemed to approve of this, only said that if they sold their lands cheaply for such a purpose, and no Pakehas came to reside on it, they would have sold their lands cheaply to no purpose. I then explained that if good land was sold by them Pakehas would not only be glad to come, but would remain and prove a lasting benefit to the Natives. "Your land," I argued, "is as a fat ox, the whole of which you cannot consume; a part of which you offer for sale to buy utensils to cook and enjoy the remainder; but what a fool I would be to take what you offer—namely, the horns and hoofs. No: sell me a quarter of your bullock and the Government will then give you that which will enable you to turn the remainder to advantage." The result was, they agreed to have a meeting, and let me know what lands they would sell to the Government; that on my return to Auckland I should hear form them on this and other subjects.

I was very much pleased with the appearance of these Natives; they are evidently well; disposed, and anxious that their future should be prosperous. The children appear to be numerous and healthy in this district.

On the 22nd of July I left Ahipara for Mangonui. I did not think it prudent to press the sale of the land on these Natives after what had been said, for Natives, as a rule, are very jealous in dealing with their lands, and caution and judgment have to be exercised to obtain confidence in return and insure a favourable result. This is the reason I have not made myself as fully acquainted with the particulars of this block, and the road to Whangape, as under other circumstances I should have done, but I trust that the Government will be satisfied with the course I have adopted.

I returned to the Bay of Islands on the 24th of July, but hearing that some hitch was likely to occur at Mangakahia, I returned there; and after leaving everything in that district in a satisfactory state, I reached Auckland via Kaipara on the 5th of August, after an absence of thirty-five days.

I have, &c.,

Thos. McDonnell,
Land Purchase Commissioner,

John Knowles, Esq., Under Secretary Public Works,
Wellington.