Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 38. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp (Acting for the Chief Secretary) to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 38.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp (Acting for the Chief Secretary) to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Orakei.—Reporting offer by the Natives of a Block of Land

Land Purchase Office,

Auckland, 13th December, 1854.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to report for His Excellency's information that a valuable block of land, containing about Four hundred and seventy acres, situated at Orakei, has been offered by the Native owners for sale to the Government. The acquisition of this piece of land would be the means of completing an entire block, portions of which have already been purchased by the Government. The Native owners have asked Five thousand pounds (£5,000) for it. On Saturday the 9th inst. I offered them the sum of Eleven hundred pounds (£1,100), which they declined. They received some time since the sum of One thousand three hundred and twenty pounds for four hundred and ninety-nine acres adjoining, paid by the Surveyor-General and Mr. Commissioner McLean.

It is said that this block would realize to the Government a very considerable sum of money; but, before proceeding any further in the negotiations, I should wish to be guided by His Excellency's instructions, as to whether (looking at the position of the block) I might be authorized, if a favourable opportunity offered, to make an advance upon the sum already offered, as, upon further consideration, there does not appear to be a danger in this case of prejudicing other purchases, if a larger sum were offered to them.

I think, perhaps, that from Fifteen to Eighteen hundred pounds (£1,500 to £1,800) would effect the purchase.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp, Native Secretary.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary,

Auckland.