Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 32. — G. F. Swainson, Esq., Surveyor, to the Hon. the Surveyor General

No. 32.
G. F. Swainson, Esq., Surveyor, to the Hon. the Surveyor General.

Waikoukou.—Dispute as to its boundaries. Pukeharekeke, 23rd January, 1852.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report that I arrived at this place on Wednesday last, and was accompanied by Paramena, a chief of the Ngatiwhatua, in order that Haimona's dispute about the Waikoukou purchase might be settled. Paramena proceeded at once to Kaipara to bring Haimona to the spot, and on Thursday I proceeded with Arama Karaka and Manihera to Waikoukou, who pointed out the boundaries of the purchase, as contained in the deed, and dug holes at various points particularly at Waipapa, which is in the disputed piece. Haimona's "Tapu" was erected on the West bank of Waikoukou, and he had commenced a small cultivation. In the evening of the same day Paramena returned (Haimona having remained at Waikoukou), and said that it was all settled, and that I was to meet Haimona, in order that he might point out the boundaries. This I did this morning, but, after a korero, both Haimona and Paramena agreed that the interference of Arama Karaka and the others, in pointing out the boundaries before their arrival, had put an end to any settlement they had come to before (this appears an old Native custom, and is called a Mahi Kohuru). The land on the west side of Waikoukou is to remain in the possession of Haimona, and the chiefs advised Arama Karaka to give the undisputed piece for the £30 already advanced to him. This, however, he refuses to do, but will see you himself on the subject. Haimona has also gone to Auckland to explain the matter. Waikoukou, from its junction with the Araruna to where it runs into the Kumeu, would make a good boundary, and would be, I think, an almost equal division of the land. Hira has pointed out to me the boundaries of Pukeharakeke.

I have, &c.,

George F. Swainson.

The Surveyor-General. &c., Auckland.