Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 1. — The Chief Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

page 147

No. 1.
The Chief Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Suggestions as to Land Purchases. Waimate, 28th July, 1840.

Sir,—

I beg leave to submit to you for the consideration of His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor a few remarks which have occurred to me and hastily thrown together relative to the office I have the honor to hold.

The purchasing of land from the Natives for the Government forming a part of my duties as Protector of Aborigines; in order thereby to facilitate the same, and to prevent any embarrassment in this duty, I would suggest:—

1st. That when lands are required for the Crown, the same be signified to me from the Colonial Secretary's Department, stating (1) the quantity required, (2) the district in which required, (3) the maximum to be paid per acre, and (4) the proportion to be reserved for Natives.

The first suggestion would prevent an unnecessary outlay of property beyond the immediate wants of the Government. The second suggestion has for its proposal the most eligible situations to be first occupied, as the Natives seem disposed to part with land in every district. The third is to establish some general principle for effecting purchases, it being impossible to state precisely what may be the amount of property required to complete purchases. Fourthly, whether it might not be desirable to make some reserve in every district where the purchase exceeds, say 20,000 acres. Such a reserve as that proposed would materially affect the Natives at a future time, securing a land fund to carry out the philanthropic views of the Government towards the aborigines.

In paying for laud I would suggest the propriety of drawing upon Government for supplies in the way of promissory notes, say at three or six months after date. This plan would admit of time to get the requisite supplies, and is applicable in cases where horses, cows, &c., may be required; and I think it is a plan that would be satisfactory to the Natives.

In connection with all purchases of land there will be an item of expenditure under the head of "Supplies of food," it being customary, not only to give the chiefs, but also their dependents who accompany them, a feast of boiled flour and sugar, &c., at such times.

As it may not be convenient to the Government to have the lands they may purchase immediately surveyed, and as it may be equally inconvenient for the Natives, who are too much governed by the impulse of, the moment to wait for the payment thereof until surveyed, it appears necessary that in all cases some pains should be taken to ascertain the boundary line. In order to effect this, I beg leave to request an allowance for a horse and about four Natives.

The cost of the four Natives would be about Eighty pounds (£80) per annum.

In connection with this subject I presume there may be considerable demands upon me (requiring both the use of a horse and these Natives) in the settlement of disputes between Natives and European settlers. It will be some time before we shall be able to persuade the Natives to refer their disputes to the Magistrate of the district, and in many cases it will be found better to visit them than to insist upon their visiting the Magistrate.

George Clarke, P.A.

The Colonial Secretary, Russell.