Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 9. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Johnson

No. 9.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Johnson.

Wainui.—Authorizing the Purchase of the Block.Land Commissioner's Office,
Auckland, 20th June, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge receipt of your letters of the 3rd instant.

With reference to the purchase of the Wainui Block, estimated by you to contain fourteen thousand acres, for a sum of Eight hundred pounds (£800), Six hundred pounds (£600) of which you intend to pay at once to the Natives, and the remaining sum of Two hundred pounds (£200) in January

page 142

1855, I have the pleasure of conveying to you His Excellency's authority for concluding the arrangement, and, to enable you to do so with as little delay as possible, the sum of Six hundred pounds (£600) for this purpose is forwarded to you to the care of Te Hemara by Mr. Daldy's boat that sails this evening for Mahurangi.

The leasing of timber from the Natives, which you describe as being carried on to a great extent, must be gradually checked, so that the existence of such an irregular system, that has grown up in censequence of land-purchasing being so much in arrear, may not impede your operations. This subject I have brought fully under the notice of Government, and means will soon be adopted to check the evil, probably without any immediate intervention on your own part beyond discountenancing the system as far as you can.

In accordance with your recommendation, I have offered Kereihi of Orakei the sum of One hundred pounds (£100) for her claims to a piece of land at Mahurangi, but she seems to expect a horse, which she says was promised to her by Sir George Grey in addition to the sum of One hundred pounds. I would thank you to inform me if you have any recollection of such a promise being made, as Major Nugent is not aware of it.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean, Land Commissioner.

J. G. Johnson, Esq., J.P., District Commissioner, Mahurangi.