Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 8. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

page 141

No. 8.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Wai[gap — reason: damage]—Reporting offer of the Block. Hot Springs, Mahurangi, 3rd June, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you that I have this day returned from the inspection of a tract of country offered for sale by certain Natives named in the margin,* who are descendants of the ancient Kawerau tribe, for the sum of Eight hundred pounds (£800).

This tract of country is known by the name of the Wainui, and is situated immediately behind that part of the Mahurangi Block which lies between the Orewa and Waiwerawere creeks; and I estimate the contents, after a careful survey of two of the sides according to the enclosed plan, to contain fourteen thousand acres.

The flooded state of the creeks during the late rains prevented my reaching the North-western angle of this block; but the bearing being taken by compass from the other points would leave the boundary sufficiently determined, until a proper survey could be undertaken at a more propitious season of the year.

This block is of an available character, being composed of low ranges covered with the most magnificent kauri forest, and intersected with hollows of open land capable of cultivation; and I would urge you to recommend its purchase by the Government, as it is only distant about twelve miles from the North Shore of the Waitemata River, and lies in the direct track of the proposed Northern road through Mahurangi to the Bay of Islands.

The position of the back boundary of the old Mahurangi purchase, which was cut by Mr. Reader Wood, the present Deputy Surveyor General, does not appear to be known by the persons engaged in the timber trade, and several parties with Government licenses are now cutting wood on the Native lands.

The Maories, in the first instance, rather connive at these proceedings; but when a large quantity of sawn stuff has accumulated at the pits, they come down upon the sawyers suddenly, and detain the timber until their demand for compensation is satisfied. A case of this nature came to my knowledge, where the European had to pay this party of Natives the sum of One hundred pounds (£100); and in other cases "bushes," or portions of forest land, have been purchased for as much as One hundred and fifty pounds (£150); and in one instance a Mr. Maurice Kelly is reported to have monopolized the timber over all the country between the Weiti and the Waitemata River, by direct purchase from the Native owners; and that he retails portions of the same to other Europeans at a great profit, much to the dissatisfaction of the public, who consider the right of leasing timber on land which is not private property to belong to the Crown alone.

You will no doubt see without further explanation, the very detrimental effect that these irregular proceedings must produce upon the endeavours which are made to extinguish the Native title to this part of the country; and it also prevents the sawyers from settling down and purchasing land, which many of them would do, where they could combine a small farm with their avocation, which would tend much to elevate the condition of this class of labourers in the colony, and for which purpose the portion of country now offered appears well adapted.

I would therefore suggest for your consideration that the sum of Six hundred pounds (£600) be paid down immediately to the sellers; and that the sum of Two hundred pounds (£200) be retained until the 1st of January, 1855, by which time a survey of the land can be undertaken, if the adjoining blocks should not be previously obtained from the Natives.

Should the foregoing arrangements receive the sanction of His Excellency the Officer Administering the Government, the Natives are desirous that the Six hundred pounds (£600), which will then be payable to them, should be transmitted here to me for distribution; and I think that it would be conducive to the public service if you could comply with their request, as the parties interested, about fifty in number, are nearly all assembled at this place, and could not repair to Auckland at this season of the year without great inconvenience to themselves.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
Sub-Commissioner for the Purchase of Native Lands.

Donald McLean, Esq., J.P.,
Native Land Commissioner, &c., &c., &c.

* Note.—Hemara, Te More, Tirohia, Kahe, Tutamoe, Paora, Tamiwhahine, Pani, Wakatea, Hori Kingi, Te Roa, Taikiamana. Wi Hemara, Koniria, Pohipi Ngonge, Makaore, Rapana, Arama Karaka, Henare Winiata, Te Peta, Te Waka Tuaea, Henare Te Rawhiti, Paora Kawaru, Kaupapa, Tohetai, Tohehau, Kawerahi, Te Hemara Tamaiti, Herewini, Tamihana, Pene, Te Reweti, Hira, Mereana, Hiria Heni, Matiu, Makereta, Piri Paraone, Takaia, Nikora, Herekino, Taiora.