Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 7. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

No. 7.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Parekakau.—Reporting offer by Wiremu Reweti of a Block of 1,500 Acres. Hot Springs, Mahurangi. 3rd June, 1854.

Sir.—

I have the honor to inform you that I have seen the piece of land offered for sale by Kereihi, the wife of the Chief Wiremu Reweti of Orakei, and beg to recommend its purchase for the sum of One hundred pounds (£100), being the amount which she expressed her willingness to receive for it some time since.

The name of the place is Parekakau, and it is, properly speaking, a portion of the Wainui, reported on in may letter to yourself of this day's date, and to the plan accompanying which I beg to refer you for a description of it.

It appears to have been given up as a portion to Kereihi and her immediate relations by the Natives of this place; and I think it would be advantageous to purchase it for the sum I have named, which might be paid at Auckland, where the owner resides. The extent is about fifteen hundred acres, and the quality of the ground is of much the same character as the rest of the block, which I have already described.

I have been disposed to recommend a liberal price for these two blocks with a view to incite the owners of the land behind Mahurangi, known as the "Kaipara Flats," to bring the negotiations which are being carried on with them to a favourable termination.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
Sub-Commissioner for Purchase of Native Land.

Donald McLean; Esq., J.P.,
Commissioner for Purchase of Native Land.