Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 6. — The Native Secretary to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

page 140

No. 6.
The Native Secretary to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Mahurangi.—Respecting the purchase of that district. Native Secretary's Office,
Auckland, February 24th, 1853.

Sir,—

In accordance with your letter of the 9th inst., authorizing me to proceed to Mahurangi, to endeavour to procure a settlement of the Native claims to land in that district, I have the honor to report that I proceeded to the residence of the Chief Hemara, situated near the south head of Mahurangi Harbour, or the purpose of ascertaining the nature of his claim to a large tract of land which he now occupies. From all I can learn, this Native has a claim to some reserve or compensation in that district, as his ancestors formerly occupied it, and he has no other place where he can subsist; and his claims are backed by several other Natives. A considerable block is also claimed by a Native named Parihoro, which includes land sold by the Government, and also land belonging to land claimants.

As the negotiations concerning this affair were likely to extend over several days, and as there was small probability of any settlement of the exorbitant Native claims, and as I had to return to Auckland at an early date, I left instructions with Mr. John Johnston to remain on the spot, and to make himself more fully acquainted with the nature and extent of the claims, which could only be obtained by a lengthened sojourn in the locality; and I further directed him to endeavour to bring the respective claimants to Auckland, where they might be more induced to listen to reason than at their own places.

Mr. Johnston's report I herewith forward, which gives a full account of the nature of the respective claims.

These Natives, especially Hemara, are more obstinate on account of their receiving payments from Europeans for permission to cut firewood and timber on the disputed land, which there would be no means of stopping unless the Native Land Purchase Ordinance were put in force.

The Natives are now in Auckland, and I would suggest that the affair should be settled on the most liberal terms as regards Hemara, who appears to have a claim; but with regard to Parihoro, the question seems more difficult, as he lays claim to large tract of land which contains several farms belonging to the Europeans who have purchased from old land claimants who have got Crown grants, and also a farm of 50 acres, for which a settler named Boyds has got a Crown grant; and this tract he asserts his intention of holding, and threatens to pull down Boyds' house and mill; and as his claim is acknowledged by most of the Natives who previously sold the land, I think that it would be judicious to extinguish it by giving a money payment and also a reserve of land.

I have, &c.,

C. L. Nugent,
Native Secretary.

The Honorable the Colonial Secretary, &c., &c., &c.