Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 15. — Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner

No. 15.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

Omaha.—Respecting Te Kiri's Claim.Auckland,13th February, 1861.Sir,—

With reference to a portion of land situated at Omaha, in the Pakiri purchase, held in dispute by Te Kiri which is reported in my letter of the 28th September, 1859, and according to an arrangement with him I proceeded to Omaha on the 7th instant, with a view to arrive at a better understandings, and, if possible, to settle the question. On my arrival at Omaha, a messenger was despatched to Pakiri for Te Kiri and his brother, who arrived late on Saturday, the 9th instant. On Monday, the 11th, we proceeded to Whakatuwhenua, where the Natives pointed out about ten ares of land, which embraces the landing-place, together with a portion which is more particularly described on the accompanying sketch. Te Kiri insisted upon-retaining this place before entering into any negotiations with me r garding the part he was willing to cede, which, he stated, entirely depended on the terms I was prepared to offer him. We then returned to Omaha, and traversed the Kaiohuohu Stream to its source, and on to Motururu, the sea coast. The whole of the land seaward of this boundary he has determined to hold for his own and his friends' use, and, as There is a party of Natives belonging to Tauranga located on a portion of it, he could hot easily, if he would, dispose of it, as it would be difficult to oust these people from their cultivations. The land between Kaiohuohu and the straight line shown on the tracing, which comprises a great portion of the land held in dispute, he agrees to waive all claim to, excepting the ten acres above referred to, for the sum of £100. After this arrangement was closed, a difficulty arose between Te Kiri and Te Tawera people regarding a cultivation within this boundary on an allotment of land purchased by a settler who is most anxious to occupy it, and, after a long discussion, Kiri gave me to understand that he would induce the Tawhera Natives to give up their cultivations, and a sum of £10 or £20 will be required for this purpose.

I have the honor to submit that I may be authorized to carry out the above arrangement without delay, as it will enable settlers to enter upon quiet possession of land which they purchased form the Government a considerable time ago, who have been waiting until the present time in the hope that this question may be brought to a conclusion.

With regard to the portion of land which contains 163 acres reserved by Te Kiri, it would materially facilitate my operations hereafter in negotiating for the greater part of it if I am authorized to purchase for Te Kiri 30 or 40 acres of land which is situated on the coast line between Whakatuwhenua and Pakiri, which he is most anxious to obtain.

The land is not likely to be purchased by any Europeans as it is very hilly.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,

Donald McLean, Esq., District Commissioner.

Chief Commissioner.