Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 47. — Mr. Brissenden to the Under Secretary, Native Department

No. 47.
Mr. Brissenden to the Under Secretary, Native Department.

The same.Auckland, 16th April, 1874.

Sir,—

Since mine of the 8th instant I have the honor to report the commencement of my negotiations for the following blocks of Native lands North of Auckland—viz., the second 10,000 acres of Te Pakiri Block, at 2s. per acre; the Muriwhenua Block, of above 20,000 acres, at 2s. per acre; the Taupaki Block, of 6,000 acres, surveyed and through the Court. This block is a very superior one, and well adapted for special settlement; it is near Auckland and accessible. I have not yet arranged as to price, but hope to secure it for 5s. per acre, though I have lots of opposition from private parties who are willing to give three times that price.

Before this reaches you I expect to have concluded the above transactions, and hope you will be able to induce the Treasury Department to be prompt in forwarding me, without loss of time, the necessary sums of money for which I send in requisitions.

I have also begun negotiations for several other blocks of Native lands that will amount to more than 200,000 acres, and have every prospect of securing by purchase very extensive tracts of country throughout this district in a short space of time.

I enclose requisitions for money required at once.

I have, &c.,

E. T. Brissenden.

H. T. Clarke, Esq., Under-Secretary,
Native Department, Wellington.