Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 42. — His Honor the Superintendent, Auckland, to the General Government Agent, Auckland

No. 42.
His Honor the Superintendent, Auckland, to the General Government Agent, Auckland.

Kaipara.—Mangakahia. Superintendent's Office, Auckland, 11th February, 1873.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you that on a recent visit (unofficial) to Mangakahia, I was offered several blocks of excellent settlement land for sale by the Native owners. Their desire seemed to me to be to encourage European settlement in the district, and I promised them that a Government officer would be sent up to negotiate with them, as I did not feel at liberty to personally take advantage of their offers. The land I would recommend to be acquired by the Government, at a price not exceeding 2s. per acre, covering all charges.

I shall be glad to have a reply as soon as possible as to whether the General Government will undertake to purchase, as otherwise I shall be prepared to do so at once on private account.

One special block which I inspected lies between the Karaka Block, Baker's land claim, and the Mangakahia River, and is well suited for settlement.

I have, &c.,

Thomas B. Gillies,
Superintendent.

The General Government Agent, Auckland.