Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 41. — Lieut.-Colonel McDonnell to the General Government Agent, Auckland

No. 41.
Lieut.-Colonel McDonnell to the General Government Agent, Auckland.

Kaipara.—Marunui Block.Aucklaud, 11th February, 1873.

Sir,—

I returned this morning from the Kaipara, and have the honor to inform you, for the information of the Government, that after I had seen Mr. Rogan respecting the Marunui land, I proceeded to Otamatea, and saw Arama Karaka. This chief sent one of his Natives, who pointed out the land he is willing to dispose of—a block of 2,200 acres; also a piece of land, 500 acres in extent, which he says, "the Government have sold to a Mr. Henry for 10s. an acre, though he has never parted with his title to it."

Arama Karaka has agreed to take half-a-crown an acre for the first block, and I have consented to this on behalf of tlie Government, as it is fair land.

Respecting the 500 acres occupied by Mr. Henry, Arama Karaka says that he expects to be paid the same amount of money that Mr. Henry purchased it for some years since, which, at 10s. an acre, would amount to £250. He spoke very strongly on this subject, urging a speedy settlement, saying that if it is arranged for soon, he will take what he offered it for, and not charge any back interest.

I promised to recommend that his claim be seen to as soon as it is possible, and I have the honor to call the attention of the Government to this case, with a view to its speedy settlement.

I have also the honor to enclose a statement made by Mr. Rogan to me about the Marunui Block, which I took down at the time in writing.

I have agreed to meet Arama Karaka on the 21st instant, at Helensville, at which time the Native Land Court sits, and as Mr. John Sheehan has said that he will be present, an arrangement can then be made about that portion of the Pakiri Block, for which Arama Karaka is trustee on behalf of Wi Apo.

Hori te More has promised to meet me at Helensville on the 21st instant, and states that he is willing to dispose of that portion of the Pakiri Block owned by him. He is also willing to come to a settlement about some moneys owing to Mr. John McLeod, which I think will be satisfactory to all concerned. I have, therefore, agreed to meet this chief on the day named by him.

page 112

Arama Karaka is anxious to obtain a small sum of money on account, as he is in want of cash, and I have promised to send him what I could procure from the Government to the extent of £40. I have, therefore, the honor to request that a sum of money be placed at my disposal (not more than that named) for this purpose.

I have, &c.,

Thomas McDonnell,
Land Purchase Commissioner.

The Hon. Dr. Pollen, General Government Agent.